Problem with Mercury on Localhost

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Problem with Mercury on Localhost

Postby dacypher » 24. July 2009 18:45

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I tried searching for a while, but the issue may be that I am too much of a newb to understand that the answer is right in front of me. I am very new to all of this stuff.

I just started learning PHP, and I am trying to use a script that uses the mail() command. I enabled Mercury, and when the script ran, I got this:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\XAMPP\htdocs\processfeedback.php on line 19

After searching on Google and on the forums here, I found that the "sendmail_from" variable is not set in the php.ini file to my mail server. I guess I don't understand this. I thought that Mercury was my mail server. I am just testing PHP on my own computer as Localhost, so I cannot figure out what I should set this to. I found the setting in the php.ini file, and it is commented out with a generic setting, like "example@yourdomain.com". I would like to actually send real emails from this script on my local machine if at all possible. Am I missing another program, or is there a way to alter this php.ini setting to allow emails on my local machine? All the threads I could find here dealing with this problem seemed to not for testing on Localhost. Any help is greatly appreciated.
dacypher

Return to XAMPP for Windows