XAMPP Lite on a multiboot Windows system

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP Lite on a multiboot Windows system

Postby Howard Kaikow » 16. July 2009 12:14

It is my understanding that since XAMPP Lite is installed from a .zp file, there are no entries made in the Windows registry.
If that is so, would it be possible to do the following:

1. Boot to the main OS, and install XAMPP Lite on, say, drive S.
2. Run setup_xampp.bat, apache_start.bat, and mysql_start.bat.
3. Boot to another OS.
4. Using the same files that were installed on drive S, run setup_xampp.bat, apache_start.bat, and mysql_start.bat.

Would XAMPP Lite now work in both OS, if we assume that the passwords, etc. are kept the same for XAP Lite in both OS?

Going one step further, could we use apache_installservice.bat and mysql_installservice.bat in both OS?
It would seem to me that each OS would maintain its own registry entries for the services, so this should work.

Do I have the facts right?
Howard Kaikow

Re: XAMPP Lite on a multiboot Windows system

Postby glitzi85 » 16. July 2009 14:29

If you unzip XAMPP directly into the partition (S:\xampp), then there is no need to call setup_xampp.bat. Just run Apache and MySQL. If you include this partition in one OS into an folder instead as a parition, then you would need to run setup.

glitzi
glitzi85

Re: XAMPP Lite on a multiboot Windows system

Postby Howard Kaikow » 16. July 2009 17:10

glitzi85 wrote:If you unzip XAMPP directly into the partition (S:\xampp), then there is no need to call setup_xampp.bat. Just run Apache and MySQL. If you include this partition in one OS into an folder instead as a parition, then you would need to run setup.

glitzi

There are no folders involved.

Each OS would be using S:\xampplite\htdocs\xampp.
Howard Kaikow

Return to XAMPP for Windows