mcrypt not loading

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mcrypt not loading

Postby Howard Kaikow » 13. July 2009 00:14

I saw a posting that stated that there are 2 php.ini files in which a setting had to be uncommented.
I can find only 1 php.ini file in XAMPP Lite 1.7.1.

And I see two lines

Code: Select all
;extension=php_mcrypt.dll
;extension=php_mcrypt_filter.dll

Do both have to be uncommented?
Is there now only 1 php.ini file?
Howard Kaikow

Re: mcrypt not loading

Postby Izzy » 13. July 2009 02:34

Howard Kaikow wrote:Do both have to be uncommented?
In the lite version only uncomment ;extension=php_mcrypt.dll then save the php.ini file and restart Apache.

Open http://localhost/xampp/phpinfo.php and check for the mcrypt section.

In all of my different installed full versions of XAMPP (for testing and troubleshooting forum issues) the php.ini files have this ;extension=php_mcrypt_filter.dll commented out where as the extension=php_mcrypt.dll is uncommented and seemingly by default, the exception being in the lite version, which has both extensions commented out - there is no php_mcrypt_filter.dll extension in the xampp\php\ext folder of the lite version, so uncommenting it may give an "unable to load extension" error.

So best practice might be to check in the xampp\php\ext folder that a particular extension is present before uncommenting the extension's entry in the php.ini file - also research what a particular extension is all about (perhaps friend Google or Bing could help with the research).

Tip
The Apache Friends advanced forum search facility is your best friend for XAMPP issues.

Howard Kaikow wrote:Is there now only 1 php.ini file?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36008

BTW there is a new version 1.7.2 currently in beta testing that promises to be more user friendly.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-beta.html
Beta testers are always welcome, with the beta page having a Feedback form that is quite often more use than this forum for reporting beta issues.
Izzy

Re: mcrypt not loading

Postby Howard Kaikow » 13. July 2009 03:08

Thanx.

I'll forget about mcrypt unless the time comes that I need it.
Howard Kaikow

Return to XAMPP for Windows