Where are the examples?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Where are the examples?

Postby Howard Kaikow » 12. July 2009 21:04

I installed XAMPP Lite on drive S.
When I unpacked the install .exe, the directory S:\xampplite was created.

readme_en.txt states that examples are in \xampp\htdocs.

The only exampe I find in S:\xampplite\htdocs is index.html.

I can find test.php only in S:\xampplite\php\PEAR\adodb\tests.

Also, can I copy my own examples to any directory under htdocs and have PHP work there, just by clicking on the files?
Or do I have to go thru the XAMPP Lite GUI?
Howard Kaikow
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 06. July 2009 21:27

Re: Where are the examples?

Postby Izzy » 13. July 2009 03:25

Howard Kaikow wrote:readme_en.txt states that examples are in \xampp\htdocs.
Sorry I can't find that reference in the lite version's readme_en.txt file.
This line is incorrect and should be ignored:
Examples:
- C:\XAMPPlite\htdocs\test.php => http://localhost/test.php



For the XAMPPLite examples or demos use the http://localhost address and look for the examples (demos) in the Welcome Page or alternatively find the files in S:\xampplite\htdocs\xampp folder.

Howard Kaikow wrote:Also, can I copy my own examples to any directory under htdocs and have PHP work there, just by clicking on the files?
php examples or indeed any php file will not work if you simply click on the file in a folder - you need to have Apache parse the code, so you will need to use your browser's address bar and call them by using a URI.
Example:
http://localhost is the S:\xampplite\htdocs folder
http://localhost/xampp is the S:\xampplite\htdocs\xampp folder
http://localhost/myfiles is the S:\xampplite\htdocs\myfiles folder
http://localhost/myfiles/mytest.php is the S:\xampplite\htdocs\myfiles\mytest.php file and should display the php coded file as intended, assuming no errors in your php code.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: Where are the examples?

Postby Howard Kaikow » 13. July 2009 06:54

Izzy wrote:
Howard Kaikow wrote:readme_en.txt states that examples are in \xampp\htdocs.
Sorry I can't find that reference in the lite version's readme_en.txt file.


It's in Step 4 on page 1.

Izzy wrote:This line is incorrect and should be ignored:
Examples:
- C:\XAMPPlite\htdocs\test.php => http://localhost/test.php



For the XAMPPLite examples or demos use the http://localhost address and look for the examples (demos) in the Welcome Page or alternatively find the files in S:\xampplite\htdocs\xampp folder.


Yes, I found them, but I felt a need to point outthat the doc was wrong to help others.

Izzy wrote:php examples or indeed any php file will not work if you simply click on the file in a folder - you need to have Apache parse the code, so you will need to use your browser's address bar and call them by using a URI.
Example:
http://localhost is the S:\xampplite\htdocs folder
http://localhost/xampp is the S:\xampplite\htdocs\xampp folder
http://localhost/myfiles is the S:\xampplite\htdocs\myfiles folder
http://localhost/myfiles/mytest.php is the S:\xampplite\htdocs\myfiles\mytest.php file and should display the php coded file as intended, assuming no errors in your php code.


Thanx.

I learned that the hard way.

I believe that I just finished changing my Javascript to convert my absolute URLs to relative IRLs so they will work with XAMPP.

Need to test to make sure the .js works.
Howard Kaikow
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 06. July 2009 21:27


Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests