Trend Micro Internet Security Affecting XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Trend Micro Internet Security Affecting XAMPP

Postby Lifeserver » 11. June 2009 04:46

Hello All,

I have always been a big fan of XAMPP but have noticed a problem when running the software on my new laptop. Whenever I attempt to run the security page, it takes a really long time and after it loads the whole bottom section (one for adding passwords and such) never displays. I also noticed that when installing Wordpress under XAMPP it times out half way through the install. If I stop Trend Micro's "Protection Against Spyware and Viruses" button, everything works as normal. I have searched all through this forms and found a few people having the same issue, but no one answered them. Is there anyone out there that may know how to fix this? I really don't like having to disable my security just to run XAMPP. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Lifeserver

Re: Trend Micro Internet Security Affecting XAMPP

Postby fishingfool » 12. June 2009 19:01

I have the same exact problem. I think it started with my new version of Trendmicro 2009. I have searched but found nothing. Any help is appreciated!
fishingfool

Re: Trend Micro Internet Security Affecting XAMPP

Postby fishingfool » 01. July 2009 04:46

Well after exchanging numerous emails with Trend Micros support for over two weeks I finally have a solution. Not sure if this with work for you Lifesaver but you can give it a try if you have not already corrected your problem.

Windows Vista had an update around March that caused problems with localhost not working on xampp. The solution was to comment out #::1 localhost. The following link goes into greater detail http://www.welcomebrand.co.uk/web-desig ... omment-607. Well this allowed me to fix localhost and xampp but when trying to develop a Wordpress install it was extreamly slow.

After Trying different things for weeks Trend Micro finally had me adjust my host file to use 127.0.0.1 localhost. After doing so everything seems to be working properly. The following are directions to config the host file:

Changing your hosts file in Vista
By default, if you try to modify your hosts file in Vista, it will not let you save it. It tells you that you don't have permission. To successfully modify the hosts file, run notepad.exe as an administrator and open the file.
1) Browse to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
2) Right click "Notepad" and select "Run as administrator"
3) Click "Continue" on the UAC prompt
4) Click File -> Open
5) Browse to "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc"
6) Change the file filter drop down box from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*)"
7) Select "hosts" and click "Open"
8 ) Make the needed changes as shown below and close Notepad. Save when prompted.

Your host file should look like this
Code: Select all
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost.

Note: I had to remove ::1 localhost and only use 127.0.0.1 localhost.

I hope this helps you Lifesaver or anyone else with this problem. This has been a really long process to find a fix.
fishingfool

Return to XAMPP for Windows