Joomla Sites not working in windows XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Joomla Sites not working in windows XAMPP

Postby stgeorge » 26. May 2009 14:47

I have a computer I wish to use as a Server for a couple of my Websites.
It is a Pentium III, 20 GB HD, 256Ram with XP home edition (FAT32).
I do not wish to install a Linux Distro.
I installed XAMPP for windows but it appears no use to me as it will not publish Joomla, Drupal or any sites that require CHMOD to safeguard the files, these sites will give out SQL errors as the permissions cannot be set under the above windows environment.
I have installed these sites on various hosts, but of course they were all Unix hosts.
I have tar.gz the sites from one host to another and from one mysql to another after changing the configuration.php files to suit.
But they will not work within windows XAMPP.
At the moment the internet connection sharing is working on the above computer, (I will not use a router), and all the other four computers in use in this network environment connect through the above computer.
I also wish to protect the XAMPP folders from the internet as my IP address will be the domain when I set up the DNS with the web address's.
As I cannot figure out how to allow the internet through the XAMPP password to view the website in htdocs I figured it would be better to put the websites on a dedicated partition on the hard drive. So how do I get XAMPP to see these websites?

Anyone with any solutions to the above problems.
I did consider installing the linux XAMPP on a formatted Linux partition, see:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=35245
But I think I will run into too many problems with CoLinux & Cygwin.

Is there something I am missing relating to the Joomla websites, I cannot see how I can CHMOD the files in a windows OS.
I used Filezilla FTP to try and CHMOD the local files but it did not work.

Just at a loss with it all at the moment.
stgeorge

Re: Joomla Sites not working in windows XAMPP

Postby Wiedmann » 26. May 2009 15:09

I cannot see how I can CHMOD the files in a windows OS.

Not possible. (Windows don't have a chmod command)

it will not publish Joomla, Drupal or any sites that require CHMOD to safeguard the files,

On Windows, these scripts don't require a CHMOD. (maybe the want have a read-only attribute for some files.)
--> You should ask the support for Joomla, Drupal or xxx, how to install it on Windows (but all of them have a description in their manual).

I also wish to protect the XAMPP folders from the internet as my IP address will be the domain when I set up the DNS with the web address's.

What exactly does you mean with "XAMPP folders".

As I cannot figure out how to allow the internet through the XAMPP password to view the website in htdocs

The webserver in XAMPP is an Apache. So just follow the Apache manual:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html

I figured it would be better to put the websites on a dedicated partition on the hard drive. So how do I get XAMPP to see these websites?

This is usually be done woth an Alias:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mo ... html#alias
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby stgeorge » 26. May 2009 16:22

Thanks for the links Wiedmann I will have to read up to find out more.
Changing file permissions in these sites via windows will be a nightmare when I have got used to Filezilla CHMODing the files and folders for me en mass.

Wiedmann wrote: it will not publish Joomla, Drupal or any sites that require CHMOD to safeguard the files,

On Windows, these scripts don't require a CHMOD. (maybe the want have a read-only attribute for some files.)
--> You should ask the support for Joomla, Drupal or xxx, how to install it on Windows (but all of them have a description in their manual).

These sites were built, installed and created on a Unix server. One is a 300mb site. My concern is that they will have to be rebuilt on windows. Besides I have got used to working with them as they are. Unfortunately Trying to find any documentation through Joomla or Drupal searches sends you around in circles, but I will have another look.

Wiedmann wrote: I also wish to protect the XAMPP folders from the internet as my IP address will be the domain when I set up the DNS with the web address's.

What exactly does you mean with "XAMPP folders".

C:\xampp\and the files and folders contained within.

FROM XAMPP APACHE SECURITY LINK
"These XAMPP pages are accessible by network for everyone UNSECURE
Every XAMPP demo page you are right now looking at is accessible for everyone over network. Everyone who knows your IP address can see these pages."

Anyone typing in my ISP can presently see these pages. I deleted the htaccess files after making the xampp folder secure because nobody on the internet can access the websites in the htdocs folder. That is why I thought it best to take them out of xamp htdocs.

Thanks for the reply and the links but still feel the best option might be to Linux part of the hard drive and use XAmpp on that with CoLinux or dual boot the Computer.
stgeorge

Postby Wiedmann » 26. May 2009 18:31

First, I hope you read this:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html#300

C:\xampp\and the files and folders contained within.

That is not specific enough. Only a few folders from those are available through the HTTP protocol.
--> look into the Apache configuration files.

FROM XAMPP APACHE SECURITY LINK
"These XAMPP pages are accessible by network for everyone UNSECURE
Every XAMPP demo page you are right now looking at is accessible for everyone over network. Everyone who knows your IP address can see these pages."

This message is about the folders "\xampp\htdocs\xampp" and "\xampp\security\htdocs" (the XAMPP Demopage).

Anyone typing in my ISP can presently see these pages.

That's the reason you can secure these folders within the security page. (see also the "readme_en.txt").

I deleted the htaccess files after making the xampp folder secure because nobody on the internet can access the websites in the htdocs folder.

Which .htaccess files? If you mean those that are generated by the security page, the XAMPP Demoage is not secured any more.

BTW:
The ".htaccess" files, generated by the security page, can't affect your own websites in htdocs. So I guess you are talking about some other ".htaccess" files.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby veggyhed » 12. July 2009 12:10

See my post about file permissions under XP here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36011&start=0 . I hope this helps you.
veggyhed

Return to XAMPP for Windows