Apache error on startup

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache error on startup

Postby dylan » 23. May 2009 20:08

Hi,
I get this error (in the Apache log) when I try to start the Apache service: [crit] (OS 10022)An invalid argument was supplied. : Child 4040: setup_inherited_listeners(), WSASocket failed to open the inherited socket.
[Sat May 23 20:44:30 2009] [crit] Parent: child process exited with status 3 -- Aborting.

The Apache server is installed but will not start.
Can anyone help please?
dylan

Re: Apache error on startup

Postby Sharley » 24. May 2009 07:23

What Operating System and which version of XAMPP for Windows have you installed?

Is the above error message from the Apache error log here?:
xampp\apache\logs\error.log

What message is returned when yo run the apache_start.bat file, paste it here please?

Are you able to start MySQL?

Try and relay to us as much as you can about what you are doing and what you have done already as we can't see your PC from here.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Apache error on startup

Postby dylan » 28. May 2009 18:05

Hi I'm running XAMP version 1.7.1
My OS is XP with service pack 2.
The error code I reported comes from the XAMP log Apache error.log

MySQL starts fine and seems to run OK.

When I run the start Apache BAT file I just get the message "starting Apache 2" then it terminates without an error message.

When I look in the windows SCM, the Apache service is listed there but it isn't running.
When I highlight the Apache service and click "start" then it says "starting" but right after that stops with the message: "The Apache 2.2 service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the performance logs and alerts service"
dylan

Return to XAMPP for Windows