Enable SMTP (Mercury)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Enable SMTP (Mercury)

Postby palmer » 20. May 2009 08:43

Good day experts...

I just want to ask why is it that I cant activate SMTP service of XAMPP... I am using XAMPP 1.7.1 and my operating system is Win XPSP2.
When I start Mercury on XAMPP control panel, I can see the status "RUNNING"... But when I check on my browser, and type localhost then click the status on XAMPP homepage, the status of SMTP Service is deactivated....

I check also the php.ini on this path -->C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin\php.ini and made the necessary changes like enabling the extension
extension=php_smtp.dll, and setting the following..

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = 127.0.0.1
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = levalisoft@gmail.com

After all this changes, I restarted apache and reboot my computer... But when I check on my browser, still SMTP service is DEACTIVATED...

Are there other configurations i missed to let this service be activated?
palmer

Re: Enable SMTP (Mercury)

Postby jimt » 20. May 2009 11:36

Hi, Mercury Mail does not start automatically, you have to open the Xampp control panel and start it from there.
jimt

Re: Enable SMTP (Mercury)

Postby palmer » 20. May 2009 12:25

yes, i have started Mercury on the control Panel of XAMPP.. There's no problem since I see the status "RUNNING"....
But when I check on the browser, and type, localhost/xampp... it will display the xampp homepage... then click
the status link, and the SMTP Service is still DEACTIVATED.

Thus I cant use the mail() function of php since I must first activate the SMTP service of XAMPP...

thats my problem now...How to activate the SMTP service....
palmer

Return to XAMPP for Windows