Apache starts and then quits

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache starts and then quits

Postby Matthean » 18. May 2009 02:46

I had to do a PC reboot on my computer. I went and reinstalled XAMPP and tried to start Apache and MySQL only to have Apache say it started and then the highlighted "Started" part goes away. MySQL starts and stays started. I tried both the current download version 1.7.1 and my old one 1.6.6a and the same thing happens. FYI, when I click on the Start button for Apache it does say "Apache started [Port 80]," but the highlighted "Started" text never stays even if it does show up.
Matthean

Re: Apache starts and then quits

Postby Sharley » 18. May 2009 03:08

Run xampp\apache_start.bat file and see the message why it can't start.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Matthean » 18. May 2009 15:49

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make _sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs
Matthean

Postby Sharley » 19. May 2009 00:27

Run xampp-portcheck.exe to find out what is using the ports that XAMPP requires and disable the culprits - usually Skype, change the ports in Skype's config, or if IIS, disable in the Windows Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Matthean » 19. May 2009 03:17

Yep, it's Skype. In the advanced options for Skype, there is an option for "Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections" and the option is checked. Just unckeck it and call it good?
Matthean

Postby Sharley » 19. May 2009 03:22

Yes un-check and click on Save - you may have to designate another port for incoming connections if one is not set - mine is set to port 55555.

Once you are happy that Skype is no longer using port 80 and 443 then do another port check to be certain and if all Free then start Apache again and hopefully you should be able to move forward.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby swtslasylm » 20. May 2009 04:25

Matthean wrote:I had to do a PC reboot on my computer. I went and reinstalled XAMPP and tried to start Apache and MySQL only to have Apache say it started and then the highlighted "Started" part goes away. MySQL starts and stays started. I tried both the current download version 1.7.1 and my old one 1.6.6a and the same thing happens. FYI, when I click on the Start button for Apache it does say "Apache started [Port 80]," but the highlighted "Started" text never stays even if it does show up.

Hey!

I got the samne error and uses Skype too, but don't get much of the instructions given -please excuse my ignorance.

May anyone please give some heed to me -as the newbie I am? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Rodney
SSA
swtslasylm

Postby swtslasylm » 20. May 2009 04:38

Sharley wrote:Yes un-check and click on Save - you may have to designate another port for incoming connections if one is not set - mine is set to port 55555.

Once you are happy that Skype is no longer using port 80 and 443 then do another port check to be certain and if all Free then start Apache again and hopefully you should be able to move forward.

Hey!

Would anyone please tell me what's IIS? and mercifully, how to designate another port for incoming connections?

Thank you very much!!!

Regards,

R.
SSA
:D
swtslasylm

Return to XAMPP for Windows