No consolation but ever since the developer changed the Perl used in the addon from ActivePerl to what ever is used in these later versions there has been issues - some don't have problems but other people do.
I personally use ActivePerl and have never had any issues and I like the included Perl Package Manager.
There is a topic here that might give some idea but the final result was to downgrade to an older version which BTW includes the ActivePerl version of Perl in the Addon but this really should not be necessary:viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33856
IMHO the developer changed from using ActivePerl because ActiveState changed the location of the ZIP file archive of ActivePerl that was used to create the Addon and was near impossible to locate (too hard basket).
Here is a link to the ActivePerl archive which is where the developer should look to return the addon to a more useful package - use the zip version for more placement control:http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/
Take a look at these Google search results
which may have some additional clues and ideas as to this problem - sometimes simply using the error message wrapped in quotes finds some interesting reading - this is what I used for the search keywords:"DBI object version 1.607 does not match $DBI::VERSION 1.604"
Not many results but it may give ideas as to what keywords that can be used to good effect.
I also remember reading a post on these forums that had other fixes but at the moment I can't seem to find these posts from a search - I will keep looking and will post if I find them.
BTW you did change the shebang in all your .cgi scripts and your scripts have no coding problems?
On a default XAMPP for Windows install, the server was serving files with the .pl extension as plain text. Not to be whiny or contentious, but after seeing how graciously XAMPP integrates Apache, PHP and MySQL fresh out of the box, it surprised me that Perl wasn't right there with them.
Find this line in the httpd.conf file:AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
and add .pl so it looks like this:AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
Save the file and restart Apache.
Test again by http://localhost/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
which should return a text version of your Environment Variables.
Personally I don't use any of the XAMPP installer versions preferring the EXE (7zip) self extracting archive versions, IMHO more control over the install - try a fresh install using a different method other than the installer.
Check that you have the perl.conf file and the startup.pl file in the xampp\apache\conf\extra folder which should have been placed when you ran the setup_xampp.bat file.
Sorry I can't be more help at the moment but I will be interested in the final outcome that you decide to adopt.