A tribute to Izzy:: Know your Apache /&/ cd pdf Files work

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

A tribute to Izzy:: Know your Apache /&/ cd pdf Files work

Postby newbie2244 » 01. May 2009 20:51

Greetings All-

This probably seems mundane to all who are frantically upgrading to XAMPP v.1.7.1 or installing it for the first time.

I finally got my .pdf files to work in XAMPP v.1.7.0. (Windows XP SP2) In tracing all the error messages that xampp generated when I tried my cds.php/ pdf and cds-fpdf.php I discovered some interesting things about Windows and Apache. (There is no excuse for an OS like Windows XP Home Edition.)

First, I still had directory entries in Registryfor previous Apache/php installations even though I uninstalled them and deleted some of them. I deleted all these Registry entries as well as renamed all previous apache & php folders. Restarted my machine.

Second, even after I did the above, I discovered that I still had 2 apache.exe processes running concurrently. I don't know if that is what should be happening. I killed one process but then the whole Apache service died. I restarted my machine again.

Third,** I discovered that-----> although phpinfo() indicates that XAMPP reads or loads the php.ini file in the apache\bin directory, my cds-fpdf.php program was accessing/using the php.ini file in xampp\php. **This may seem surprising but in fact makes very good sense, if you consider that there is either a Windows PATH variable or an include_path statement in php.ini , which has the value "C:\xampp\php\pear". As Apache traverses these directories it executes? the *.ini files that it finds. In this regard, Izzy's advice to delete all *.ini files not in apache\bin is a very good idea. ( a previous post)------->And I remembered what the folks at Apache tell all newbies who are installing APache for the first time - - take time to understand the *.conf file(s) and how it all works. No I know why.

(Still not reached that "how it all works" level of understanding but I am working at it. )

Fourth, I finally changed the "include('fpdf.php');" statement in cds-fpdf.php to point to the file explicitly with the statement "include('\xampp\php\pear\fpdf'\fpdf.php') with
"single quotes
" around the path(won't work with double quotes).
include('C:\xampp\php\pear\fpdf\fpdf.php')
also works.

AND Then I l
ocalhosted
my cd-fpdf.php file and magically I saw Adobe open up for the first time in XAMPP. ANd that's when I realized what pdf is really good for. REPORTS. So...

I am somewhat disappointed that cds-fpdf.php didn't work out of the box. Still, it was a worthwhile learning experience

BUT before I upgrade to XAMPP v.1.7.1, I need to know my Apache better. SO I'm spending some serious time with the source.

A suggestion to the XAMPP team -- how about a demo report with .pdf??

Happy sleeping &&
Regards to All- :D

newbie2244
newbie2244

Re: A tribute to Izzy:: Know your Apache /&/ cd pdf Files work

Postby Sharley » 02. May 2009 00:27

When upgrading to 1.7.1 you will find the php.ini file used is now the one located in the xampp\php folder - for previous XAMPP version users this may be confusing but for new XAMPP users this is where most would expect to find the php.ini file.

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: A tribute to Izzy:: Know your Apache /&/ cd pdf Files work

Postby newbie2244 » 14. May 2009 23:45

Greetings-

First thanks for putting up with my somewhat convoluted root cause analysis as to why I had .pdf problems in V.1.7.0. My problems(I think) stemmed from two things:

1) two php.ini files
2) not having enabled 3rd party browser extensions.

It should be understood that I understand that at no time was XAMPP buggy or the problem, but rather my system configuration.

--Regards to all.
newbie2244

Return to XAMPP for Windows