phpmyadmin won't start but mysql is running

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

phpmyadmin won't start but mysql is running

Postby kos » 01. May 2009 20:25

Hi all,

I've installed xampp 1.7.1 basic package, services are running, from console I can manage them correctly.
if I try to connect to Mysql using my php page everything is working fine.
Using localhost web console (I've tried with 127.0.0.1 too):
on status page Mysql is inactive, examples are not running and phpmyadmin is not starting (MySql is running...).
I'm using windows xp.
I've deleted cookies but nothing changed.

Thanks indeed in advance for any suggestion.
kos

Re: phpmyadmin won't start but mysql is running

Postby Sharley » 02. May 2009 01:08

kos wrote:I've installed xampp 1.7.1 basic package, services are running, from console I can manage them correctly.
Which console are you referring to and how are you managing these services you mention?

Some people are confused by what a service means as opposed to an XAMPP component.

A service relates to a Windows service which will start an XAMPP component every time you reboot your PC and so a registry entry is created to achieve this procedure.

An XAMPP component is one of Apache, MySQL etc. and no registry entry is needed to Start and Stop these components manually.

kos wrote:if I try to connect to Mysql using my php page everything is working fine.
Using localhost web console (I've tried with 127.0.0.1 too):
on status page Mysql is inactive, examples are not running and phpmyadmin is not starting (MySql is running...).
If MySQL is showing as Inactive in the Status page and in the XAMPP Control Panel MySQL is showing running in a green color then we have a conflict here - but it is evident that MySQL is indeed not running - check in the Windows Task Manager under the Processes tab for mysqld.exe in the list as well as 2 instances of httpd.exe which will confirm that both Apache and MySQL are running.

Read the apache\logs\error.log file and see if there are any entries that may give a clue.

Try starting MySQL using the mysql_start.bat file and read the message for any indication why it can't start.

Also read a few recent posts like this one about why MySQL can't start:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34869

Also and as well as deleting your cookies, delete your browser's cache (temporary Internet files).

Let me know back some more details about what you have done after installing XAMPP and if you have made several attempts at uninstalling and then installing XAMPP as often some residue is left over after these attempts that need to be cleared.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby kos » 02. May 2009 19:28

Hi Sahrley,

on xampp control panel I see apache and mysql running (green color), checking windows process the mysql is running.
The problem is trying to access to database with web interface: status page , example and phpmyadmin,

I've reinstalled once , is there something that must be cleared?

Thank you !
kos

Postby kos » 03. May 2009 20:00

in the meantime I've tried to unistall xampp and with both wamp and appserv myphpadmin is not working notifing no database connection.

This is scaring! :shock: it seems something on my computer must be deleted. Mysql is running but phpmyadmin refuse to connect.

Thanks indeed for any tips.
kos

Return to XAMPP for Windows