Is it possible to develop a site offline and then upload it?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Is it possible to develop a site offline and then upload it?

Postby tama » 22. April 2009 09:12

Hi,

I am developing a web page with joomla1.5! but I haven't got enough permissions to upload my created files (new index.php, css, images..) to the correspondent folders. It's a problem with my webhosting, I have to request full permissions. I have noticed that the owner of the folders with full permissions is different that the folder containing the template and the files to modify....

Right now I am developing the page with xampp to show something to my client. But lets go to the point: Is it possible to develop this page using XAMPP and then upload the whole site to my server? A copy/paste?????

If so I can make the site in XAMPP and when it's finished upload it!

Thanks.
tama

Re: Is it possible to develop a site offline and then upload it?

Postby Sharley » 22. April 2009 09:29

tama wrote:Is it possible to develop this page using XAMPP and then upload the whole site to my server? A copy/paste?????

If so I can make the site in XAMPP and when it's finished upload it!
Yes, you can use XAMPP to test your web site and pages locally after of course developing in your favorite web site editing tool, but not perhaps copy and paste to your hosting provider, but using an FTP client of your choice.

I use XAMPP to test locally after developing my web sites and then I upload them either file by file or the complete web site using an FTP client like SecureFX, FlashFXP or even the freeware Filezilla FTP Client.

I then set the file permissions on the hosting server, again using the FTP client, to what ever the script configuration requires.

I then open the uploaded site in several browsers to test it, then if anything requires editing I do the editing, again testing locally with XAMPP and upload the edited pages to the hosting provider for retesting again.

Never had any problems so far and I have used many different hosting service providers in my time.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby tama » 22. April 2009 09:49

Thanks for your reply!

But what files/folders must be added? (apart from the obvious index.php in the template folder, the css and the new images)

I think that the content is stored in my local mySQL database, so where exactly is this located? And the modules published? can I upload directly through the ftp client or this must be installed?
tama

Postby Sharley » 22. April 2009 10:06

This link to the relevant Joomla docs may help

You may also find some answers and help in these Google search results.

Use phpMyAdmin to export your database and then use phpMyAdmin on your Hosting service to import the database in your uploaded Joomla site but I believe the above links will give you more details - databases are stored in the xampp\mysql\data folder in folders named the same as the database you create in phpMyAdmin.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby tama » 22. April 2009 10:27

You have saved my life! I am really grateful...

I will try to post my process in this subject hoping it helps to someone.
tama

Postby tama » 22. April 2009 10:34

A guy from joomla.org has posted a link:
http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_copy_a_site_from_localhost_to_a_remote_host%3F

It seems useful...
tama

Postby tama » 22. April 2009 11:22

ooops this is your link! sorry.... :oops:
tama

Postby Sharley » 22. April 2009 11:28

tama wrote:ooops this is your link! sorry.... :oops:
That's OK, I am just pleased you are able to move forward with your Joomla web site now. :)

Any problems with XAMPP please feel free to post a new Topic and we will try and help.

Good luck and all the best with your site.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows