mySQL service wont install but can be started normally

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mySQL service wont install but can be started normally

Postby kmaid » 16. April 2009 20:35

I am having problems getting mySQL to install itself as a service. mySQL works fine if I login, Use the XAMPP control panel start button however whenever I tick the SVC check the service manager to find no mySQL service.

I have used WAMP and a few other similar projects and disabled services from these in the past so I am wondering if it is possibly an unclean uninstall or something along these lines. Is there anyway i can install the sql service something different or log files to look at for errors?

Thanks
Kmaid
kmaid

Re: mySQL service wont install but can be started normally

Postby Sharley » 16. April 2009 21:42

If you have uninstalled and installed XAMPP previous you may have a registry entry that requires removal.

First in the XAMPP Control Panel stop MySQL.

Next go to start/Run...
type
sc delete mysql
click OK

Now go to xampp\mysql folder and run mysql_installservice.bat file.

Next go to your XAMPP Control panel and check that the Svc box is checked and you have the green running indication.

Let me know back please if that helped.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby kmaid » 17. April 2009 16:36

Bah having written up all the error messages expecting it not to work it worked perfectly! Thanks for your help =D!
kmaid

Postby kmaid » 17. April 2009 22:41

It would appear I spoke too soon. The problem seems to have changed now. Now the mysql service does get installed and start but after a refresh appears to crash out with the error message:

Faulting application mysqld.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module mysqld.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x002b8853.

After a quick search i found this post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32588. I have tried all the directions mentioned repeatedly short of a fresh reinstall. Anything i could try that isn’t mentioned there?

Mysql does work just not as a service which is very frustrating. I have it setup as a scheduled task but it seems a bit like a shoddy fix.
kmaid

Postby Sharley » 17. April 2009 23:28

kmaid wrote:It would appear I spoke too soon.
That is disappointing.

BTW you did not specify what OS and XAMPP version you are using.

However try this:
Do the above procedure that worked, ie - stop mysql in the control panel and then close it.
This time include the mysql_uninstallservice.bat file next.
Then do the sc delete mysql bit.
Now run the mysql_installservice.bat file
Open the Control Panel and the Svc box should be checked and the green running indication present.

Now for the fresh process - In the XAMPP Control Panel click on the SCM button and look for the mysql entry in the list of services.
It should show as Started.

Right click on the mysql entry and select Properties.
Click on the Log On tab
Under Log on as: the Local System account should already be selected.
Tick the box Allow service to interact with the desktop.
Click Apply
Click Restart the service in the left panel.
Close the SCM.

Give it a work out and see if that stabilizes the mysql service for you.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby kmaid » 14. October 2009 15:05

I hope nobody minds this post resurrection but I am still having this issue. I have had the start_mysql.bat file start using a scheduled task for the mean time but it has been crashing randomly and causing havoc.

Windows Version: Windows 2003 Server R2 (Service pack 2)
Xampp Version: 1.7.0

I tried the steps you suggested again with still no successes. I have also tried backing up my data and installing a standalone mysql 5.1 server with still no success even after deleting the service and closing the manually run copy.

How could I cleanly uninstall the copy of mysql in Xampp without uninstalling apache and having to reset up all my configurations?

Any fresh ideas?
kmaid

Return to XAMPP for Windows