Write permissions in config

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Write permissions in config

Postby Willy92 » 01. April 2009 16:05

I have searched but not found an answer for this.

In Xampp for Windows, the windows folder permissions do not work, so please don't post telling me they do. I have 2 servers running Apache on Windows. In my other one, I can use php packages that require a write to a file in a directory, within htdocs. On Xampp server - I get an error that write permission is denied. I know this is related to the directory command, with all/deny being set to allow write to a folder. But I can't seem to get it working right.

Is there anyone in the forum that has done this...I keep getting told to right click the folder in Windows etc and that is NOT the answer. :( I can't get it right using the Apache documentation, and can't seem to find thye difference in my 2 server config files.

Also, I know its asking a lot, but does anyone know the correct syntax to set the folder in a vhost setup as write permitted. I have vhost working, and only one of the folders needs to be writeable.

Hope I have made this clear....will greatly appreciate any help! :D
Willy92

Re: Write permissions in config

Postby Wiedmann » 01. April 2009 16:25

I can use php packages that require a write to a file in a directory, within htdocs. On Xampp server - I get an error that write permission is denied.

a) the script is buggy
b) or the file is read-only
c) or the Aapche process don't have write access permissions to this file
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Willy92 » 01. April 2009 16:29

Apache in Windows does not use windows permissions - there is tons of stuff documenting this
The script is not buggy - I posted that it works in server a - not in server b
I can find tons of listing in hundreds of forums about the same issue - it all relates to the directory command in the apache config file.

Your c - is correct - apache does not have write access permissions, which leads to my question - how do I give Apache write permissions - and its NOT using Windows.

thanks for the answer - but it just hilighted the question :?
Willy92

Postby Wiedmann » 01. April 2009 16:50

The script is not buggy - I posted that it works in server a - not in server b

This does not indicate, that a script is not buggy, or wrong configured.

Apache in Windows does not use windows permissions

Not in the same way like Apache is dealing with permissions on *nix.

But he must respect file/directory permissions and restrictions, if there are any set in Windows for the Apache process or a file Apache want access.

In addition, a script (e.g. a PHP script) can read and set file attributes, like the read-only attribute.

apache does not have write access permissions,

How did you know that Apache does not have write access permissions?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Willy92 » 01. April 2009 17:09

Thanks for your responses - But I was looking for help not arguments. Obviously me stating the script is not buggy is not good enough, and I tried very hard to list what I knew to avoid answers that wasted the helpers time. I detect an underllying tone here that I do not usually get when I ask for help, so I will venture on to friendlier ground for help. You either can not help me with the Apache directory directive, or are unwilling to.

Thanks anyway
Willy92

Return to XAMPP for Windows