Security on localhost

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Security on localhost

Postby sharongilmore » 01. April 2009 14:03

Hi folks,

this might be a really silly question, so I apologise in advance if it is!

I have just installed xampp to use locally - I want to be able to set up sites and test them on my own laptop. Do I need to worry about security in this case? My laptop is mostly connected to the internet - does this mean that people could, in theory, access my computer? Or would I have to upload the stuff to somewhere for that?

Thanks!
Sharon
sharongilmore

Re: Security on localhost

Postby Izzy » 01. April 2009 22:51

Read the section A matter of security (A MUST READ!) in the xampp\readme_en.txt file and see if that answers your questions.
Izzy

Postby Wendy » 08. April 2009 20:03

I am looking for the same answer as the original poster. Yes, I have read the documentation; however, it is less than clear. I do not know if a personal computer with internet access is a "development" or "production" environment. Could someone please clarify whether having xampp on my pc opens security holes when I am connected to the internet? Thank you.

Wendy
Wendy

Postby dravekx » 09. April 2009 08:53

sharongilmore and Wendy: Keep your firewall on. DONT install Apache/MySQL/FileZilla as a service. When you want to test, just turn them on via the control panel or services.msc. When your done, turn them off.

Do realize your installing a WEB SERVER meant for the WWW. As long as your IP is secure behind a firewall via router or else, you will be fine.
dravekx

Postby cliver » 09. April 2009 09:31

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm a new user of XAMPP too and have a similar security problem.
I have installed XAMPP ok and am using the cointrol panel to start and stop Apache as and when required as sugested here.
However I am reading the readme notes and "A matter of security (A MUST READ!)" in particular. When I try to open the link to or go to http://localhost/security/ to set up the passwords as suggested, my browser returns with...
Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
When I browse the directory in file explorer I have read permissions on the directory and all below it.
I'm logged on with administrator priveliges on a Vista OS.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
Clive
cliver

Postby Sharley » 09. April 2009 09:40

cliver wrote:When I try to open the link to or go to http://localhost/security/ to set up the passwords as suggested, my browser returns with...
Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403

Go to xampp\apache\conf\extra folder and find the httpd-xampp.conf file.

Open the file in Notepad (right click and run as admin) and look for 2 instances of:
Allow from localhost

change each line to:
Allow from 127.0.0.1

Save the file and then restart Apache and you should be able to access the security page now.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby cliver » 09. April 2009 10:44

First of all thanks for the quick reply; much appreciated.
I've made the changes you indicate and am now accessing security page perfectly.
Many thanks Sharley
cliver

Postby denzuk » 09. April 2009 17:18

Thanks also Sharley. Now I can access the security page. Thank you veryveryveryveryveryvery much!!!!!
denzuk

Postby Wendy » 10. April 2009 19:08

Thank you for the helpful responses
Wendy

Return to XAMPP for Windows