mysqld.exe runs on windows startup

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysqld.exe runs on windows startup

Postby thud » 26. March 2009 17:27

I just installed xampp last night (using the ZIP method) and thought all was well. Then i started my computer this morning and get an alert from Charter Security Suite "mysqld.exe is trying to connect as a server, allow/deny?" That is BAD! I only plan on using xampp as a development tool so having mysql running all the time is...far from ideal. What do I do? I checked msconfig and mysql, mysqld, xampp, etc are not listed in the start up tasks yet every time I boot windows mysqld.exe launches itself. This is especially bad since mysqld is constantly listening to 3306 which I have no idea how to close.

I need help asap. Thanks for your time.

ps. How the heck do I block a TCP port? (read: I'd like to close 3306 but google refuses to answer me)
thud

Re: mysqld.exe runs on windows startup

Postby Izzy » 27. March 2009 00:17

What version of Windows?
What version of XAMPP?
Both omitted.

Did you install XAMPP then uninstall and then reinstall at some stage?

It sounds like you perhaps installed first using the installer version then uninstalled and reinstalled using the EXE (7zip) version as there seems to be a mysql service left behind.

Go to
start>Run...
type
sc delete mysql
Click OK

Using sc.exe (Service Controller) should remove the old service entry from the registry and allow you to proceed.

Test again and let us know back please.

You can block ports all you like but it won't prevent a service from starting up at boot time, but removing the old service entry from the registry will.
Izzy

Postby thud » 27. March 2009 04:32

WinXP SP3
xampp 1.7.0

No, I've never installed MySQL or xampp prior to this so there shouldn't be anything in the registry. Should I run SC anyway?
thud

Postby Izzy » 27. March 2009 04:44

Yes you can and will not do any harm to your system as it well tell you if it has nothing to do and close the console window quickly.
Izzy

Postby thud » 27. March 2009 05:04

Alright, I ran sc delete mysql and it closed immediately so I assume that meant there was nothing to delete?

I did a restart and it didn't load up this time though. It defies logic, but my problem seems solved for the moment.
thud

Postby Izzy » 27. March 2009 05:10

Yes sc delete did the trick and you should not have that problem again.

It closes quick in most cases when run this way but rest assured it would have remove the mysqld service that was giving you problems especially now you tell me MySQL doesn't start on boot up now.

Good luck and now enjoy XAMPP.
Izzy

Postby thud » 27. March 2009 05:52

but I never installed xampp previously and I didn't use the installer so there shouldn't have been any registry entires... :shock:

Ah well, can't argue with success.

Thanks for the help.
thud

Return to XAMPP for Windows