Starting up Apache

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Starting up Apache

Postby lologirl » 25. March 2009 00:26

Hi, I'm trying to start using Apache after installing XAMPP.

When I try
Code: Select all
xampp_start.exe
in the cmd window, I get the following error;

Code: Select all
<OS 10048> Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.  : make sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

### APACHE + MYSQL  IS STARTING NOW ###

I have searched this forum as well as other places on the internet, I am using Windows XP Professional Version 2002. I don't seem to have IIS installed on this computer, at least, I can't find it in Control Panel > Administrative Tools. I have unchecked the box with Skype that allows it to use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections.

I don't know what else to do or to check. Please can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks a million.
lologirl

Re: Starting up Apache

Postby Izzy » 25. March 2009 00:46

You omitted the version of XAMPP you have installed.

Run xampp-portcheck.exe and see what is using the ports - they should all be free.

You can start and stop the XAMPP components by using the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) by running xampp-control.exe in the xampp folder - but do not click on the Admin... button next to MySQL or you will have even more issues to contend with.

You can also use apache_start.bat file, which will also give a message why Apache can't start.
Izzy

Postby lologirl » 25. March 2009 01:34

Hi, thanks for answering.

I am using XAMPP 1.7.0.

I ran xampp-portcheck.exe and no, not all ports are free;

Apache (HTTP) 80 C:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe
Apache (WebDav) 81 free
Apache (HTTPS) 443 C:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe

MySQL 3306 C:\XAMPP\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe

(all others are free)

I ran apache_start.bat and I get the same error as before.

According the the XAMPP Control Panel, Apache and MySQL are both running (has been like this all day while I have been getting the error message mentioned in this thread).
lologirl

Postby Izzy » 25. March 2009 01:46

lologirl wrote:I ran xampp-portcheck.exe and no, not all ports are free;

Apache (HTTP) 80 C:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe
Apache (WebDav) 81 free
Apache (HTTPS) 443 C:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe

MySQL 3306 C:\XAMPP\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe

(all others are free)

Your server is running as indicated in the ports being used by Apache and MySQL and they can't be started again if already running.

You would have to stop Apache and MySQL then try starting again using either the bat files or XCP.

No need now to restart simply go to http://localhost/ and tell me what you see please.
Izzy

Postby lologirl » 25. March 2009 02:14

Hi Izzy, you are very good to come back to me.

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you are saying, when you say "I would have to" - do you mean I should do that now?

When I go to http://localhost/, I see a page about XAMPP Version 1.7.0, with a message "Welcome to XAMPP for Windows Version 1.7.0 ! Congratulations: You have successfully installed XAMPP on this system!" There are no error messages there - it looks fine. Under 'Status', everything is activated except for FTP Service.
lologirl

Postby Izzy » 25. March 2009 02:32

lologirl wrote:I'm not sure I exactly understand what you are saying, when you say "I would have to" - do you mean I should do that now?
No need to do anything now as your server is running just fine as indicated by the results of going to the Welcome Page.

Because you had already started Apache and MySQL then you can't start them again once they are running and that is why you had the error message.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows