Paste the simple mod_rewrite rule you tested that failed and I will test it on my 1.7.0 default (out of the box
) installation test bed to see if you need to do a fresh install - include any details you think I should know to help get it to work.
BTW did you check the error.log again after running the second test .htaccess file?
In this .htaccess file that keeps failing mod_rewrite has it any other content?
You created the .htaccess file with a text editor and not a word processor?Edit
If it helps and I hope you don't flip your lid, I just tested your original .htaccess you posted by creating the folders C:\xampp\htdocs\login\SSL and I included in the SSL folder the .htaccess file and a copy of the index.html that is in the htdocs folder.
I then went to http://localhost/login/SSL/
and was given the index.html (It works!
) and in the address bar of my browser it had changed to https://localhost/login/SSL
- no errors period.
So it would seem that your .htaccess file is fine and the placement is fine so the conclusion is that your XAMPP installation may have a leak, chucked a wobbly or perhaps some of your conf file edits are at fault.
Read the readme_en.txt file about uninstalling and installing but this time try the EXE (7zip) version then follow the instruction in the readme file to run the setup_xampp.bat file.
This time test your .htaccess file without making any changes to the installation configuration files, in other words run it as a default clean (out of the box
) installation - that's how I tested it and it worked.