Ports keep on being a nuisance. Please help

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Ports keep on being a nuisance. Please help

Postby Dico » 21. March 2009 12:08

Hi,

I think I tried about every advice in your FAQ about the XAMPP install problem about ports 80 and 443 being in use.
I removed everything from the first installation, following your warning that installing over and over again would cause problems; I reinstalled XAMPP; same warning.

I did inactivate UAC, did change Skype, I uninstalled both Apache and Mysql services, rebooted, checked the ports, saw they were free, restarted the services, rechecked the ports and saw no change:

Apache http port 80 (system)
apache webdev port 81 (free)
apache https port 443 (system)

My SQL port 3306 ( system).

When I enter localhost, there is a problem, 127.0.0.1 gives my the german XAMP page (apparently loaded successfully), but when I click on tools/PhPMyadmin the error message is: ( in Dutch) cannot load Mysql extention, please check php configuration.
When I try to access 127.0.0.1/joomla, its works, but tells me the Mysql isn't active. So I stop the install.

Apparently, the XAMPP control panel is being fooled, because here, the message is that the service is running.

What can I possibly do more to get the system running, please.

Sincerly,

a desperate new user...

Dico
Dico

Re: Ports keep on being a nuisance. Please help

Postby Izzy » 21. March 2009 12:18

First this is the German Language forum. You can find the English language forum in Apache Friends in English - XAMPP for Windows Forum and so you may find that this post is be moved there.

You are logged in as an administrator I assume?

This link may help with the SYSTEM hogging ports issue and again allow you to access phpMyAdmin etc.:
viewtopic.php?p=135356#p135356

BTW if you want to copy and paste from a console window like port check uses or any of the bat files uses, then simply click on the little icon top left of the console window and you will find in the menu presented the Edit tools - select mark, then highlight the text to copy, then back to the menu and select Copy, now over to the forum reply box and right click in the box and select paste - job done.

Don't start any XAMPP components as a service until you have tested XAMPP without them.

Installing XAMPP components is not usually required and if you can live without the XAMPP components being loaded at boot then simply start them manually, no big deal if it keeps hassles out of the equation.

TIP.
Next time you uninstall and reinstall change the version from the Installer version to the EXE (7zip) version and extract the files to the C:\ drive which will put all the files in the right places in C:\xampp.

Then simply run setup_xampp.bat file found in the xampp folder, this will set all the paths correctly.

Next run xampp-control.exe and Start Apache and MySQL and do not tick any Svc boxes and do not click on the Admin... button next to MySQL or you will have more issues.

Go to http://localhost and select your language and test the installation by running the demos.

If all checks out then install your Joomla and create it's database using http://localhost/phpmyadmin as usual.

If you then want to run XAMPP components as a service so they start automagically at boot time then tick the required Svc boxes and then click on the SCM button and find those services and change the Start setting to Automatic as I believe the default is Manual.
Izzy

Postby Dico » 21. March 2009 15:22

Hi Izzy,

Thanks for your fast answer and Entschuldigung dass Ich nicht im guten Sprache-Site gepost hab.
If you don't mind, I'll continue anyway in English...

I did as you said, stoppend, then removed the services, uninstalled XAMPP, downloaded the 7zip file, had it unpack in my g:\ disk 9 in the root, where it nicely made the XAMPP folder.
I ran setup_xampp.bat, then xampp-control.exe, without ticking either svc or toughing any button. It presented as follows:

XAMPP Control Panel Version 2.5 (9. May, 2007)
Windows 6.0 Build 6001 Platform 2 Service Pack 1
Current Directory: G:\xampp
Install Directory:
*** WARNING: Directory mismatch ***
Status Check OK
Busy...
Apache started [Port 80]
Busy...
MySql started [Port 3306]
Busy...
WARNING: terminating worker thread 1
Busy...
ERROR: MySql not stopped [0]
Busy...
MySql stopped [Port 3306]
Busy...

The Localhost didn't work as you predicted. Did I do something wrong? Do I have to install in C:\?

Sincerely

Dico
Dico

Postby Izzy » 21. March 2009 22:20

I did as you said, stoppend, then removed the services
How did you confirm that indeed the services were definitely uninstalled as this does not always happen?

Installing to C:\ drive is the default but installing to the root of G:\ should not present a problem.

Ignore the *** Directory Mismatch *** warning as it is irrelevant but by all means do a forum search for it if you want find a way to remove the message.

In your XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) is Apache and MySQL showing a green Running indication?

Does xampp-portcheck.exe show correct use of the ports after starting Apache and MySQL?

What do you see when you go to http://127.0.0.1/

What do you see when you go to http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin
Izzy

Postby Dico » 22. March 2009 14:19

Hi Izzy,

Here are my answers to your questions. Thanks for your help. This must cost you an enourmous amount of time!!

How did you confirm that indeed the services were definitely uninstalled as this does not always happen?

I clicked the \xampp\apache\uninstallservice.bat and checked through Ctrl-Alt-Del tab services. Same with the Mysql service.

Installing to C:\ drive is the default but installing to the root of G:\ should not present a problem.

OK, I'll leave it like that then.

Ignore the *** Directory Mismatch *** warning as it is irrelevant but by all means do a forum search for it if you want find a way to remove the message.

It's not rally a problem to me, as long as this &*^$%#) server would start!

In your XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) is Apache and MySQL showing a green Running indication?

Sure!

Does xampp-portcheck.exe show correct use of the ports after starting Apache and MySQL?

Before:
RESULT
------

Service Port Status
==================================
Apache (HTTP) 80 free
Apache (WebDAV) 81 free
Apache (HTTPS) 443 free

MySQL 3306 free

FileZilla (FTP) 21 free
FileZilla (Admin) 14147 free

Mercury (SMTP) 25 free
Mercury (POP3) 110 free
Mercury (IMAP) 143 free

After:
RESULT
------

Service Port Status
===================================
Apache (HTTP) 80 SYSTEM
Apache (WebDAV) 81 free
Apache (HTTPS) 443 SYSTEM

MySQL 3306 SYSTEM

FileZilla (FTP) 21 free
FileZilla (Admin) 14147 free

Mercury (SMTP) 25 free
Mercury (POP3) 110 free
Mercury (IMAP) 143 free

When I started the MySql service, the message was:
Please dont close Window while MySQL is running
MySQL is trying to start
Please wait ...
MySQL is starting with mysql\bin\my.cnf (console)
090322 14:08:16 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 46409
090322 14:08:16 [Note] Event Scheduler: Loaded 0 events
090322 14:08:16 [Note] mysql\bin\mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.1.30-community' socket: '' port: 3306 MySQL Community Server (GPL

When I go to localhost, error message is:
Verbinding onderbroken ( communication aborted)
De verbinding met de server werd geherinitialiseerd tijdens het laden van de pagina. ( the communication with the server was reinitialised during page load)
De netwerklink werd onderbroken tijdens het onderhandelen over de verbinding. Probeer het opnieuw.
(the network link was interrupted during negotiation about the connection. Try again)

What do you see when you go to http://127.0.0.1/

I see a German language XAMPP page, with in the header the error message:
Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in G:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\head.php on line 27
The firefox tab in explorer ( or the title just after the XAMPP icon top left) reads: <?include('.version);?> - Mozilla Firefox.

What do you see when you go to http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin

I see a red bar, with the following text;
phpMyAdmin - Fout ( error)

Kan de mysql-extensie niet laden. Controleer de PHP configuratie. - Documentatie
(Cannot load mysql-extension. Check the PHP configuration )
- and a link to documentation, which I can open.)

Thanks again for your help!

Dico
Dico

Postby Wiedmann » 22. March 2009 14:27

as long as this &*^$%#) server would start!

Your server is starting and running. (that's the reason you can access the server with your browser...)

(Cannot load mysql-extension. Check the PHP configuration )

PHP is using a wrong "php.ini" and not that one from XAMPP.
--> Search your harddisc for other/old php.ini's.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Izzy » 22. March 2009 14:28

Search your PC for php.ini files and either delete or rename them except for those you find in the G:\xampp installation folder - Apache uses the php.ini file in the G:\xampp\apache\bin folder.
Izzy

Postby Dico » 22. March 2009 15:31

Bingo!

This was the issue: an older ( rather hard to find, btw!) php installation in the Program files\php diectory.
Now Xampp started with the language-choice.

Thank you very much, guys! Ou were a great help!
Now I'll be able to install Joomla...

Dico
Dico

Return to XAMPP for Windows