Unable to start Apache

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Unable to start Apache

Postby AbracadaverAK » 19. March 2009 23:24

Hi all,

I'm having a problem getting Xamp Lite working on my USB flash drive. The installation completes without any errors but whenever I try to start Apache the Xamp control panel shows it as running and then stops again.

I get the following error when I run the 'apache_start' batch file:

Code: Select all
Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Running beenden
Bitte erst bei einem gewollten Shutdown schliessen
Please close this command only for Shutdown
Apache 2 is starting ...
apache.exe: Syntax error on line 477 of E:/xamp/apache/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 7 of E:/xamp/apache/conf/extra/httpd-xampp.conf: Cannot load E:/xamp/apache/bin/ph
p5apache2_2.dll into server: The specified module could not be found.

Apache konnte nicht gestartet werden
Apache could not be started
Press any key to continue . . .

I did a quick search on this earlier and saw one suggestion was to make sure .net Framework 1.1 was installed. I've since done this and I'm still getting the same error. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
AbracadaverAK

Re: Unable to start Apache

Postby Izzy » 19. March 2009 23:32

Can you please go through in detail how exactly you installed XAMPP to your USB drive?

What version of XAMPP lite?

What version of Windows?
Izzy

Postby AbracadaverAK » 20. March 2009 00:00

I'm using Xampp Lite 1.7.0.

I extract the files in the archive to the root of the USB drive and run 'setup_xampp.bat'. This completes without any errors and then I got the above error when trying to start Apache.

I should have said before actually that I have managed to run it okay from the USB stick using my own PC. This is running on XP SP3 but using the same OS on my girlfriends laptop I get the above error. To me this kind of makes it look like it's something to do with something not installed or not set up correctly on the laptop but I'm not sure what...
AbracadaverAK

Postby Izzy » 20. March 2009 00:18

...I extract the files in the archive to the root of the USB drive and run 'setup_xampp.bat'.
Then this could be your problem.

The readme_en.txt file is quite clear about how to install to a USB drive
QUICK INSTALLATION:

[NOTE: Unpack the package to your USB stick or a partition of your choice.
There it must be on the highest level like E:\ or W:\. It will
build E:\xampp or W:\xampp or something like this. Please do not use the "setup_xampp.bat" for an USB stick installation!]
The setup bat file sets the paths of the PC that you initially installed XAMPP on the USB drive but these paths make the USB unportable and is the reason not to use it.
Izzy

Postby AbracadaverAK » 24. March 2009 13:36

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The readme file doesn't actually explain what to do instead of running 'setup_xamp.bat' though. This installation also works fine from my USB stick on my PC whether it was setup on it or not. Anyone care to shed any light on how to get it this working? I'm completely at a loss.
AbracadaverAK

Postby AbracadaverAK » 24. March 2009 13:48

Sorry to double-post but I just wanted to clarify that I have tried unpacking Xampp to a folder on the USB stick and tried running it without running 'setup_xampp.bat' and I get the same error...
AbracadaverAK

Postby Izzy » 24. March 2009 14:23

If as you say it works on your PC after unpacking a fresh install without using the setup bat file then it must point to an issue with the other machine you are trying to run it on.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the lite version of XAMPP.

Some members who have had issues with the lite version have gone for the full version that has solved all the problems.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows