mysqld service start but is closed immediately

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysqld service start but is closed immediately

Postby robert_anisoiu » 19. March 2009 09:01

Hello,

On a Windows XP SP3 machine I installed xampp 1.7.0. I setup apache to start as a service. I installed XAMPP, I ran mysql_installservice.bat and mysql was started as a service with no problem.
After that I made an upgrade of Internet Explorer from IE 6 to IE 7. When the computer was restarted a message error appear that mysqld service encountered an error and it must be closed.
I used mysql_uninstallservice.bat to remove the myql service and the service was removed. With mysql_installservice.bat I reinstalled the service. The service starts but in two seconds the same message mysqld service encountered an error and it must be closed appears again.
What can be the problem? What IE7 did in order to stop or close the mysqld service?

Thank you for reply
robert_anisoiu

Re: mysqld service start but is closed immediately

Postby Izzy » 19. March 2009 09:05

I used mysql_uninstallservice.bat to remove the myql service and the service was removed.
How do you know for sure the service was remove?

Do you know what installing MySQL and Apache for that matter as a service actually means?

Is there any particular reason your need to install the services?
Izzy

Postby robert_anisoiu » 19. March 2009 09:50

Izzy wrote:How do you know for sure the service was remove?

After I ran mysql_uninstallservice.bat I verified the services(Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services). The apache service was there in "running" mode and mysql does not appear in the services list. So, I think the service was removed.
Izzy wrote:Is there any particular reason your need to install the services?

If I don't have mysql service started how can I use mysql?
robert_anisoiu

Postby Izzy » 19. March 2009 09:59

If I don't have mysql service started how can I use mysql?
You don't need MySQL running as a service to be able to use it.

The reason for starting MySQL and Apache as a service is so that when you reboot your PC Apache and MySQL will be started Automatically if in fact the entry in the Service Control Manager has been selected so to do.

Most users don't need this to happen as they can start Apache and MySQL manually by using the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP).

So run xampp-control.exe in the xampp folder and remove the ticks in the Svc boxes and then click on Start for each of MySQL and Apache - but do not click on the Admin... button next to MySQL or you will have more errors.

You can start MySQL and Apache or any of the XAMPP components manually in the XCP when ever you want to use them and IMHO is more secure than having them running all the time for no reason - the SCM button takes you to the Service Control Manager and is quicker than going via Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services method, try it.

Let me know back if this starts MySQL and Apache which will be indicated by a green running message in the XCP.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows