XAMPP external access NAT problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP external access NAT problem

Postby garymce » 19. March 2009 00:58

Hello, I've recently installed and configured XAMPP on my Windows Vista computer. I disabled User Access Control as recommended, everything installed correctly, I set up the various passwords for XAMPP, mySQL, Filezilla etc as recommended on the localhost Security page, and I can connect to my web server from anywhere inside my home network with no problems.

However, I've been trying to allow access to it from outside via NAT to no avail. In my router's admin settings under the NAT > Virtual Server options I've added port 80 and requested that all incoming traffic on port 80 gets directed to my web server's IP address. However when I enter my external IP address, I'm taken to my router's login page as if I'd typed the router's internal IP address.

Here's a screenshot of my router config (various addresses blurred out, rest assured it's the right one I'm forwarding to)

I've never set up an Apache web server before, I've mainly been following suggestions and such that I've found in other threads or websites, but I can't seem to find anything for this problem in particular. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time
-Gary
garymce

Re: XAMPP external access NAT problem

Postby Izzy » 19. March 2009 01:18

Did you also allow port 80 in your firewall?

Here are some results of a forum search that may hold some clues for you.

Here are some links to help with routers/web server etc.
viewtopic.php?p=133342#p133342
Izzy

Postby garymce » 19. March 2009 18:21

Port 80 is open and allowing traffic through, yes.
garymce

Postby nic_xampp » 22. May 2009 20:00

I am having the same issue. I know for sure that my problem is not NAT/Router related because I wrote a test program that excepts TCP/IP on port 80. It works properly when I use localhost, 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.2 (my local address), and my external ip address. However, for some weird reason apache only responds to requests made from the machine that it is installed on. Is there some apache configuration I missed?
nic_xampp

Return to XAMPP for Windows