Creating the MySQL Database for Joomla 1.5?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Creating the MySQL Database for Joomla 1.5?

Postby Christopher_John » 15. March 2009 04:33

Hi all,
This is my first try at setting up a local server and xampp was suggested from a book that I am reading for Joomla. I am used to working within a plesk back end environment where setting up the MySQL database is very easy, allI do is create the database then add the username and password and it's done. I am using XAMPP for Windows Version 1.7.0.

I can't quite figure out how to create the database. When I navigate to PHPMyAdmin and try to create the database it asks me to create tables and I am really unfamiliar with how tables are created for Joomla...is there a default database name, user name and password that I can use to complete my local install?

Regards,
CJ
Christopher_John

Re: Creating the MySQL Database for Joomla 1.5?

Postby Izzy » 15. March 2009 04:48

All you need do is create a database with a user and a password for this Joomla database and when you install Joomla it will ask for these database details - no need to create tables etc. as Joomla will do all that for you on install.

Here is a link with a bit of a tutorial I created for Wordpress which will work for Joomla or any script that requires a database - simply change the names to suit your own script (for example Joomla).
viewtopic.php?p=112258#p112258
Izzy

Postby Christopher_John » 15. March 2009 04:51

Thanks Izzy,
Greatly appreciated!

CJ
Christopher_John

Postby Izzy » 15. March 2009 05:10

Your welcome and I hope it helps you get up and running with Joomla - you can even install WordPress as well and see what makes it tick. :)
Izzy

Postby Christopher_John » 15. March 2009 13:24

Izzy wrote:Your welcome and I hope it helps you get up and running with Joomla - you can even install WordPress as well and see what makes it tick. :)

Hi Izzy,
I created the database but in the tutorial where it says to create a new user;
Click on
Add a new User
Fill in the blanks
User name: wp
Host: Select Local from the drop box
Password: pw
Re-type: pw
Click on
Go (bottom right)
Click on the Home icon in the left frame again.
This will put you back to the home page once again.
We now have a user wp with a password pw.

Unfortunately I cannot find a button to click on that says "add a new user" I can see the root user profile and the privilages are set to "All" but I can't figure out how top add a new user.

Regards
Chris
Christopher_John

Postby Christopher_John » 15. March 2009 13:39

Sorry...disregard the last post...I found it, I wasn't working from the homepage for phpmyadmin.

Regards
Chris
Christopher_John

Return to XAMPP for Windows