INSTALLATION XAMPP WINDOWS XP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

INSTALLATION XAMPP WINDOWS XP

Postby pbundy » 08. March 2009 09:31

I'm running Windows XP SP3. Does the installation of XAMPP have to be located in the system drive - in my case C:? I tried installing to G:/xampp and ran into all kinds of problems. Many thanks
pbundy

Re: INSTALLATION XAMPP WINDOWS XP

Postby Izzy » 08. March 2009 10:31

No you should be able to install to G:\ if it is not a network drive but a system drive or partition.

Instead of using the installer version with XP SP3 try the EXE (7zip) self extracting version and extract the contents to G:\ which will put all the files in G:\xampp then run the setup_xampp.bat file to set all the paths.

Then run G:\xampp\xampp-control.exe the XAMPP Control Panel and select Start Apache and Start MySQL but do not click on the Admin... buttons or you may have problems.

Then go to http://locahost and select your language and then test all the demos including the CD collection which will verify MySQL is working.

BTW C:\ drive is the default but is not essential to use this drive.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby pbundy » 08. March 2009 11:52

Many thanks Izzy - I'll give it a go later today and let you know. Regards, Paul
---------------------------------------------
Have now unpacked Zip as directed. No problems. However, on the XAMPP Control panel, I am unable to start Apache. I do not think the paths can be set correctly. Control Panel shows:
Current Directory: G:\xampp
Install Directory:
So, it would appear the install directory is not recognised.

Have you any suggestions?

Regards Paul
pbundy

Postby Izzy » 09. March 2009 09:49

Paul, don't worry about the Installed Directory message in the XCP as it is hard coded, even my XCP gives that message, it also may say "*** Warning: Directory Mismatch ***" and this can also be ignored - Current Directory is showing that your G:\xampp folder is being recognised but, there is another reason why Apache can't start.

Go to your xampp folder and run apache_start.bat file and see what message is returned why Apache can't start.

Also run xampp-portcheck.exe and check that all ports are free.

TIP
To copy and paste text in a command console window double click on the little icon top left in the window title bar and then click on Edit - select Mark then highlight the text to copy then back to the Edit menu, select Copy then over to the forum reply text box, right click and select Paste.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby pbundy » 09. March 2009 19:42

Hi Izzy - Many thanks for info. For some reason I now seem to be up and running - I don't quite know how but all seems to be working! I'll check everything out and get back if there are still any unresolved problems. Regards Paul
pbundy

Return to XAMPP for Windows