Apache write permissions

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache write permissions

Postby mweston » 07. March 2009 17:12

Hi guys.

New to the forum and unexperienced in both PHP and Apache so bare with me.

I've been trying to figure out how to set write permissions on folders within the Apache directory. I'm completing a tutorial on Zend and at the moment I have to use HTMLPurifier and the tutorial sates that the web server i.e. Apache, needs to be able to write files to a directory in the application structure which is 'cache/HTMLPurifier'.

I've read bits about chmod 755 and 777 but I can't find anything that tells me where or how to set the permissions. I believe 777 maybe be to do with Linux or at least it allows very open, therefore un-secure access?

Can you help me?

Thanks.
mweston

Re: Apache write permissions

Postby Nobbie » 07. March 2009 17:25

>I believe 777 maybe be to do with Linux

Not only 777 - "chmod" exists for Linux only and there is no "chmod" or similar for Windows.
Nobbie

Re: Apache write permissions

Postby Izzy » 07. March 2009 22:33

Apache, needs to be able to write files to a directory in the application structure which is 'cache/HTMLPurifier'.
If this folder is in the xampp\htdocs tree then Apache will be able to write to it.

If the folder is outside of the htdocs folder then Apache will not be able to write to it no matter what Windows file permissions are set, as the default access permissions set in the httpd.conf file are restrictive for obvious security implications.

So the questions that need answering first is where exactly is this cache\HTMLPurifier folder situated and what do you mean by the phrase "application structure"?
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows