Site really slow when getting hits

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Site really slow when getting hits

Postby okkare » 27. February 2009 04:26

Hi, I have XAMPP running on my XP machine, and I just made the site public. It started getting hits a few minutes ago due to digg, and now it's slow and/or not loading. Just about everything is default.

I really need some help, as this site is being advertised and needs to work.

I have the correct ports forwarded, I believe. (80 and 443). Firewalls off, etc.
okkare
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15. February 2009 16:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby Izzy » 27. February 2009 04:34

You could try adding this Win32DisableAcceptEx to apache\conf\httpd.conf file on the last line and see if it improves performance as it has been known to solve some strange issues.

Save the file then restart Apache.


Also check your apache\logs\error.log file and also the Task Manager Processes tab and see if there are any spikes in CPU entries.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby okkare » 27. February 2009 04:48

Izzy wrote:You could try adding this Win32DisableAcceptEx to apache\conf\httpd.conf file on the last line and see if it improves performance as it has been known to solve some strange issues.

Save the file then restart Apache.


Also check your apache\logs\error.log file and also the Task Manager Processes tab and see if there are any spikes in CPU entries.


Thanks for the quick reply. The site seems to load faster, but only about 1/3 of the time. It either loads quickly or doesn't load, after adding "Win32DisableAcceptEx".

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
okkare
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15. February 2009 16:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby Izzy » 27. February 2009 04:53

Give me the address and I will try it from here and see if I can separate your issues from the Internet and your own PC other wise I can be guessing all week for a solution.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby okkare » 27. February 2009 04:54

Izzy wrote:Give me the address and I will try it from here and see if I can separate your issues from the Internet and your own PC other wise I can be guessing all week for a solution.


Thanks :).

The address is http://okkare.com/

http://okkare.com/okblog/ is the part getting the traffic.
okkare
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15. February 2009 16:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby Izzy » 27. February 2009 05:01

Your server is not accessible from the Internet and from what I see you are on Shaw who may be blocking port 80 as most of the cable providers seem to do along with port 25 for email.

Go here and see for your self - add your domain name and tick all the boxes and book mark this link so you can test your server from outside your LAN without having to ask your mates to check it from the Internet.
http://70.84.211.98/co/DomainDossier.aspx
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby okkare » 27. February 2009 05:06

Izzy wrote:Your server is not accessible from the Internet and from what I see you are on Shaw who may be blocking port 80 as most of the cable providers seem to do along with port 25 for email.

Go here and see for your self - add your domain name and tick all the boxes and book mark this link so you can test your server from outside your LAN without having to ask your mates to check it from the Internet.
http://70.84.211.98/co/DomainDossier.aspx


Hmm, but if they are blocking 80, would it still work when there is little traffic?

EDIT: I'm calling Shaw to see if they are blocking me.
okkare
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15. February 2009 16:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby Izzy » 27. February 2009 05:16

I said it may be blocked as I have no way of knowing one way or the other - each time I tested your site it was not available even the IP 24.86.81.243 but occasionally I get redirected from http://okkare.com/ to http://okkare.com/okkare/ and it takes a while to load but does load a full index page.

It is very intermittent as though you are being shaped.

You are also using Magento - do a forum search as other have issues with this shop and I believe there was a fix somewhere but again this is not in my field as it is a third part app.

The other place that may require tweaking because your site will be MySQL or database intensive is the my.cnf file in the xampp\mysql\bin folder or it may look like a my shortcut which you drag into a text editor to view and edit.

The resources are set low by default because XAMPP is for development not for a production server, so you may wish to experiment with the settings - make a back up first so you can always revert if you muck up.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby okkare » 27. February 2009 05:24

Izzy wrote:I said it may be blocked as I have no way of knowing one way or the other - each time I tested your site it was not available even the IP 24.86.81.243 but occasionally I get redirected from http://okkare.com/ to http://okkare.com/okkare/ and it takes a while to load but does load a full index page.

It is very intermittent as though you are being shaped.

You are also using Magento - do a forum search as other have issues with this shop and I believe there was a fix somewhere but again this is not in my field as it is a third part app.

The other place that may require tweaking because your site will be MySQL or database intensive is the my.cnf file in the xampp\mysql\bin folder or it may look like a my shortcut which you drag into a text editor to view and edit.

The resources are set low by default because XAMPP is for development not for a production server, so you may wish to experiment with the settings - make a back up first so you can always revert if you muck up.


Thanks, I'll try that :).
okkare
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15. February 2009 16:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby okkare » 27. February 2009 05:31

Thanks so much or taking the time to help me, Izzy!

I called Shaw and they said they don't block any ports, which is good to know.

But I'm wondering if you can give any more information about the my.cnf file, what I should and should not change etc.

EDIT: I tried doubling the values and the site seems to be working better.
okkare
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15. February 2009 16:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby Izzy » 27. February 2009 05:49

okkare wrote:But I'm wondering if you can give any more information about the my.cnf file, what I should and should not change etc.
Not really, as I did say experiment - I have no way of knowing what is causing your issues.

Just keep in mind you are on an limited bandwidth resource with the Shaw cable and you are not in a dedicated server data center, so if a 1000 people connected on the same cable are running servers from home and a good percentage of those servers are busy then the cable will automatically start sharing out resources and this may be another cause of your issues.

There are free hosting companies and there are very cheap hosting companies who's servers are in a dedicated hosting data center and who's resources are usually very large and so you may have to give up the idea of running a busy server from home and go with a dedicated hosting service for reliability and the speed you require.



This section in my.cnf has many tweaks to experiment with:
key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 64
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
read_buffer_size = 256K
read_rnd_buffer_size = 512K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M

Also this section:
innodb_data_home_dir = "C:/xampp2/mysql/data"
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
innodb_log_group_home_dir = "C:/xampp2/mysql/data"
#innodb_log_arch_dir = "C:/xampp2/mysql/data"
## You can set .._buffer_pool_size up to 50 - 80 %
## of RAM but beware of setting memory usage too high
innodb_buffer_pool_size = 16M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 2M
## Set .._log_file_size to 25 % of buffer pool size
innodb_log_file_size = 5M
innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 1
innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50


Another good location for your questions is at the Magento shop forum and explain your issues and see if others using it have come up with some performance tweaks.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: Site really slow when getting hits

Postby okkare » 27. February 2009 06:08

Izzy wrote:Another good location for your questions is at the Magento shop forum and explain your issues and see if others using it have come up with some performance tweaks.


Thanks again for your help.

The problem isn't just with Magento, I'm also running an imageboard and blog that are performing terribly.
okkare
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 15. February 2009 16:06


Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests