How do I "upgrade"

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How do I "upgrade"

Postby thunderaeroi » 23. February 2009 22:28

I am currently running 1.6.6, and I want to run 1.7.0, and I have a big problem. How do I do it? Seriously, if I overright the directory I lose all of my settings.

Is there some super secret way to upgrade that you dont have to start over from scratch?

Thanks.
thunderaeroi

Re: How do I "upgrade"

Postby Wiedmann » 23. February 2009 23:13

I am currently running 1.6.6, and I want to run 1.7.0, . How do I do it?

Upgrade to 1.6.7, then to 1.6.8 and finally to 1.7.0 with the upgrade packages.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby thunderaeroi » 24. February 2009 00:12

Wiedmann wrote:
I am currently running 1.6.6, and I want to run 1.7.0, . How do I do it?

Upgrade to 1.6.7, then to 1.6.8 and finally to 1.7.0 with the upgrade packages.

and all my settings will stay?
thunderaeroi

Postby Izzy » 24. February 2009 00:31

thunderaeroi wrote:and all my settings will stay?
You shouldn't loose any of your settings as the upgrades usually don't change the settings or interfere with your own data, but for the 1.7.0 upgrade you must follow a slightly different method as outlined in the upgrade text file.

I usually drag my existing xampp folder holding down the Ctrl key to make a Copy of xampp folder then if anything does go wrong I have a fully working copy to revert to so I can try again - just a case of renaming the Copy of xampp folder back to just xampp to re-establish my working installation.

This method also allows me to check the settings have indeed not been changed and acts a very useful backup.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby chris-gibbs » 27. February 2009 00:44

Can I assume that upgrading from ApacheFriends XAMPP (basic package) version 1.6.3a uses the same process (with a couple more steps)?

Cheers

Chris
chris-gibbs

Postby Izzy » 27. February 2009 01:09

I don't think there is an upgrade from your version if I recall correctly.

Somewhere between your version and 1.6.6 there may have been a new install required but worth checking in case I am incorrect, which would entail following my process of Copy of xampp so you can edit conf and ini files with your changes and restore your own data in the new version - don't copy over complete conf and ini files from your Copy of xampp as they will not contain any new configurations relation to the latest component versions, simply edit the new version's conf and ini file if required.

In my honest opinion your would now be advised to use the Copy of xampp method and install the latest version 1.7.0 afresh and as I said above this method will lose you nothing as all you do is rename Copy of xampp back to xampp if the fresh install goes belly up.

It is simple and useful to have your old working XAMPP at hand to be able to transfer your own data and to compare the conf and ini files and make adjustments as applicable.

I use this method and have several versions of xampp on my C:\ drive called xampp, xampp1 and xampp2 etc. so I can troubleshoot member's issues in the various working versions - but remember you can only run one instance of XAMPP at once or you will have conflicts.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby Create Sean » 01. March 2009 11:59

I want to upgrade from 1.6.7

I downloaded the xampp-win32-upgrade-1.6.7-1.6.8 file and unzipped it now what?

After that I'd like to upgrade to 1.7, but the explanation is not very clear. Is there a better explanation somewhere.
Create Sean

Postby chris-gibbs » 01. March 2009 13:30

thanks for the advice lzzy.

I ended up performing a fresh install and cut over the settings and hosted content. It took a little longer but I think it was worth the extra effort.

And after all, there was nothing particularly special in our environment to prevent a fresh install from working.

Cheers

Chris
chris-gibbs

Postby thunderaeroi » 16. April 2009 18:13

What if I have 1.6.6a? How do I for sure check the version number?

Also, call me stupid but I dont understand the install directions for upgrading from 1.6.8 to 1.7.0.

Can someone point to the idiots guide...
thunderaeroi

Return to XAMPP for Windows