MYSQL AND XAMPP CONTROL PANEL

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MYSQL AND XAMPP CONTROL PANEL

Postby VGabbler » 13. February 2009 05:57

Hi, like most people posting here I am new to Xampp so pardon any ignorance.

I am running Windows XP Professional SP3 with Xampp V1.7 with Patch 1.

When I start mySQL in the control panel it appears to start fine.
I then click the admin button to enter the winmysqladminscreen, get prompted for the user name and password and then enter the winmysqladminscreen dialog.

Once finished in this dialog I right click and select WINNT\Shut Down this Tool. The confirm shut down dialog appears and I confirm.

If I then go back into the XAMPP Control panel, the SQL Server is shown as stopped. When I click to start I get the following error showing in the on screen lo

BUSY
ERROR: Mysql service not started [-1]

When I check the running processes the system shows the my sqld.exe is still running even though Xampp says it is stopped.
Additionally I am unable to remove the system service by unticking it.

The only way I can get the SQL to run properly again is to run the mysql_uninstallservice.bat in the mysql folder. I am then able to remove the service from XAMPP control panel.\

Once this has been done I am then able to restart the SQL and re-enter the admin area through XAMPP control panel.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in the XAMPP control panel?

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated as I have enough grey hairs already LOL

TIA
VGabbler

Re: MYSQL AND XAMPP CONTROL PANEL

Postby Izzy » 13. February 2009 06:21

I then click the admin button to enter the winmysqladminscreen, get prompted for the user name and password and then enter the winmysqladminscreen dialog.
Don't click on this as it is deprecated and of no use now, use phpMyAdmin instead.

Run the mysql_uninstallservice again.

Go in to the Windows folder and if you find a my.ini file then either rename it or delete it.

Make sure there are no ticks in the Svc box and MySQL is stopped.

Close the XCP

End the mysqld.exe process from the Task Manager if still running.

Then reboot the PC.

Check out the XCP again but remember do not click on the MySQL Admin... button.

See how that performs now.
Izzy

Postby VGabbler » 20. February 2009 06:52

Thanks Izzy,

that appears to work.

A niave question but doesn't this mean that Xampp is effectively redundant for MYSQL. What is the advantageof XAMPP if the control panel tools (which to my mind merely brings control modules together) are of no use. Will we be heading back to downloading each program separately and doing away with XAMPP

Again Thanks
VGabbler

Postby Izzy » 20. February 2009 07:06

The XAMPP Control Panel was created by a third party who seems not to keep up with the times and so WinMySQLAdmin (Admin...) has not been replaced with a link to phpMyAdmin nor have the developers chosen to make the fact that this Admin... should not be used either - only when the many support requests come in to the forums is this made plain to the user.

I have just experimented with deleting the winmysqladmin.exe file form the xampp\mysql\bin folder and when the Admin... button in the XCP is pressed it has no effect on the XCP and MySQL and so no error or hassles are evident - so really the XAMPP developers only need to exclude the 3 files from the XAMPP distribution till the XCP developer release an update - but please don't hold your breath in the mean time.

Of course if you feel up to it then by all means dispense with XAMPP and install and then configure the individual components to work together yourself. :)
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows