XAMPP for Windows Vista

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP for Windows Vista

Postby bhbreal » 10. February 2009 23:57

I have attempted to install XAMPP on Vista and I have the following problems:
1) the XAMPP control panel will allow me to only briefly start Apache and MySql...then stops running after START and returns to Admin mode...(I have used the control panel to install both Apache and MySQL service with a checkbox...I have also activated install files for both Apache and MySQL from the XAMPP download files)
2) When I exit from the XAMPP control panel and shutdown my pc and then later attempt to tun my pc back on, I get a recurring error that pops up (approx every 5 seconds).

I have uninstalled XAMPP and attempted to reinstall with same recurrring problem. I am running windows firewall for security and I am reluctant to turn-off for obvious reasons.

I appreciate any recommendations and I will do my best to assist forum members with any future problems as I gain experience with XAMPP.

Many Thanks In Advance!
bhbreal

Re: XAMPP for Windows Vista

Postby Izzy » 11. February 2009 00:25

bhbreal wrote:1) the XAMPP control panel will allow me to only briefly start Apache and MySql...then stops running after START and returns to Admin mode...(I have used the control panel to install both Apache and MySQL service with a checkbox...I have also activated install files for both Apache and MySQL from the XAMPP download files)
This is a common problem and been covered before and you may find a solution by doing a forum search for vista - tips for searching here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32670

bhbreal wrote:2) When I exit from the XAMPP control panel and shutdown my pc and then later attempt to tun my pc back on, I get a recurring error that pops up (approx every 5 seconds).
Don't click on the MySQL admin.. button then this will not occur - remove the shortcut from your startup folder and again this has been covered many times before, even just in the last few posts - delete or rename the my.ini file it may also have created in the Windows folder.

bhbreal wrote:I have uninstalled XAMPP and attempted to reinstall with same recurrring problem. I am running windows firewall for security and I am reluctant to turn-off for obvious reasons.
You must uninstall completely by stopping all XAMPP processes including uninstall XAMPP components running as a service before deleting the xampp folder in preparation for a new install.

You must disable UAC, make sure the ports XAMPP requires are open in your firewall, disable IIS and change the ports Skype uses if you use it and be logged in as an Administrator or a Super Administrator to work with most Vista and XAMPP components - you are in effect a web server administrator when working with XAMPP.

Read the readme_en.txt file, the XAMPP FAQ and the XAMPP for Windows Home Pages and learn how to search the forums.
Izzy

Re: XAMPP for Windows Vista

Postby bhbreal » 11. February 2009 01:23

Prior to my post, I read the FAQ posts related to my problem and attempted the corrective actions recommended...thus, my post. Forgive me for imposing on your time.
bhbreal

Return to XAMPP for Windows