Oh boy... Bad 1.7.0...

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Oh boy... Bad 1.7.0...

Postby eokorie » 06. February 2009 20:52

Tried upgrading my XAMPP setting to 1.7.0 and all i have been getting is absolute problems... one after the other. Tried the installer.... things did not go so well there as APACHE basically refused to start ( no idea why ). Checked the error log and everything installed correctly. Firewall was already configured to allow apache to run but no dice. decided to try the zip package. had a bit more of a success with installation. Tryiong to change security caused some problems until i managed to fix that by making changes in one of the conf files. Once I had changed my security setting and tried to access the default page of my xampp install, i get an server error!!

any ideas?
eokorie

Re: Oh boy... Bad 1.7.0...

Postby Izzy » 07. February 2009 01:12

Try and do things methodically not in a mish-mash kind of way or you won't know whether you are coming or going.

1. Uninstall any previous XAMPP installations by stopping all XAMPP components and uninstalling any that are installed as services including the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) - this step is very important and if not carried out properly then you will have issues with the new installation, check and double check that there are no XAMPP components still running and that there are no XAMPP components installed in your system as a service.

2. Delete the xampp folder or drag it by holding down the Ctrl key to make a Copy of xampp so you can copy over your own file and folders from the Copy of htdocs folder to the new htdocs folder - but only yours, not any system files or folders.

3. Download the EXE (7zip) self extracting archive and extract to the C:\ drive - it will extract to C:\xampp and place all the files and folders in their correct places.

4. Important - run the setup_xampp.bat file in the xampp folder to set all the paths in XAMPP correctly.

5. Double click on the xampp-control.exe file in the xampp folder and start Apache and MySQL and nothing else.

6. Go to http://localhost and select your language and then test your installation by clicking on all the demo menu items.

7. Enjoy XAMPP 1.7.0.

eokorie wrote:Tried upgrading my XAMPP setting to 1.7.0 and all i have been getting is absolute problems... one after the other. Tried the installer.... things did not go so well there as APACHE basically refused to start ( no idea why ). Checked the error log and everything installed correctly. Firewall was already configured to allow apache to run but no dice. decided to try the zip package. had a bit more of a success with installation. Tryiong to change security caused some problems until i managed to fix that by making changes in one of the conf files. Once I had changed my security setting and tried to access the default page of my xampp install, i get an server error!!

any ideas?
BTW a server error usually means you made a typo perhaps in a configuration file somewhere and all will be revealed by checking the xampp\apache\logs\error.log file or running the apache_start.bat file which has a good error message if Apache can't start.

BTW2, to troubleshoot any issues you may have we need to know what you see, what you do and what you have done already in great detail as we can't possibly know those details unless you relay them to us here on the forum.

Please post back if this post was helpful so others searching the forum with similar issues may know that at least something worked for you.
Thanks.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows