Installation problems

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installation problems

Postby aqua » 31. January 2009 21:27

Hi,

I downloaded the xampp win32 -1.7.0 file and installed on the C drive programs folder of windows xp. The setup_xampp.bat was run and then the apache_start.bat, but it is not working, most of the message is as follows:
"MySql stop.....
Apache killed
pv no matching processes found.
Attention cannot delete the http.pid!
mysql\lbin\mysqladmin.exe: connect to local server at "local host failed"
error "cannot connect to Mysql on local host "10061"
check that mysql is running on local host and that the port is "3306"

##mysql and apache are starting##"

I am unable to start Apache using the control panel. SQL appears as running when start is selected. I have followed and repeated over and over the instructions in the quick read me file for installation but receive different messages like above, I am novice and would appreciate any advise.

thanks,
Aqua
aqua

Re: Installation problems

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 22:44

Please try and run xampp-portcheck.exe

All ports should be free or occupied by XAMPP components.

Have you IIS running if so disable it in Windows Control Panel.

Have you had an installation of MySQL or Apache before?

BTW you can't reinstall over the previous install in the xampp folder.

All XAMPP components have to be stopped and any services uninstalled (stopped) including the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) before deleting the xampp folder.

Then you can try and install again but this time elect not to start any services - services can be installed after XAMPP is successfully tested.
Izzy

Postby aqua » 03. February 2009 07:57

Hi,

Yes I did have the installer xampp version but had uninstalled and deleted folders and shortcuts from start up program and program files. Since, I deleted the extracted xampp zip folder files and shortcuts, downloaded again and extracted to C: program files. After Apache is run, the console has the message "Apache is starting", and displays as running in the control panel. In the control panel after starting Apache and SQL, "directory mismatch" displays.? No service boxes have been ticked in the control panel. The only page I can connect to right now is the start page in http://localhost/xampp. All other addresses give the error page. From xampp portcheck all ports appear as free, only port 80 and 443 are taken by Apache and 3306 by SQL. Also sometimes SQL does'nt stop running using mysql.close.bat or selecting stop?.

Aqua
aqua

Postby Izzy » 03. February 2009 08:04

After you installed XAMPP did you run the setup_xampp.bat file to set all the paths?

BTW installing to C:\Program Files is not a good idea, extract to just C:\ instead which will create C:\xampp and put all the files in the right place, then simply run setup_xampp.bat file and then start Apache and MySQL using the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP).

You can ignore the Directory Mismatch message it is not important and will not affect anything in XAMPP or the XCP.
Izzy

Postby aqua » 05. February 2009 04:13

It appears to be working alright now after re-installing and extracting to the C: drive only and using the XCP to start services.

Thanks

Aqua
aqua

Postby Izzy » 05. February 2009 05:17

Thanks for posting back that everything appears to be working fine now.

Good luck and please enjoy your XAMPP experience.

BTW if you feel confident enough to edit the Windows registry there is a fix for the Directory Mismatch issue here:
viewtopic.php?p=134872#p134872
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows