Xampp Control Panel Directory Mismatch

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp Control Panel Directory Mismatch

Postby rosie1 » 31. January 2009 17:03

Recently installed Xampp using 7zip on Vista Ultimate.

When I go into the Xampp Control Panel, it shows:

'Install Directory:

- Warning: Directory mismatch

Status check OK'

All appears to be running well so far so puzzled.

Have searched the archives, but only find info on XP which seems to relate to non-use of xampp installer method and impact on registry. Can anyone kindly verify if same applies to Vista and a novice's approach on how to correct this?

Thanks.
rosie1

Re: Xampp Control Panel Directory Mismatch

Postby Wiedmann » 31. January 2009 18:38

Can anyone kindly verify if same applies to Vista and a novice's approach on how to correct this?

This "Warning" is of no importance. Just search your registry and adjust the path to get rid of this.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby rosie1 » 31. January 2009 20:41

Wiedmann wrote:
Can anyone kindly verify if same applies to Vista and a novice's approach on how to correct this?

This "Warning" is of no importance. Just search your registry and adjust the path to get rid of this.

Thanks so for the advice. Please could you kindly advise what part of the registry I should access and what adjustment I need to make. Apologies as I'm a complete novice.

Much appreciated.
rosie1

Postby Wiedmann » 31. January 2009 21:50

Please could you kindly advise what part of the registry I should access

Sorry, I don't know. (I have only read somewhere in the forum, that it's a value in the registry.)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby rosie1 » 31. January 2009 22:16

Wiedmann wrote:
Please could you kindly advise what part of the registry I should access

Sorry, I don't know. (I have only read somewhere in the forum, that it's a value in the registry.)

Thanks so. I found a reference to XP but not Vista. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Best wishes.
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 22:35

What reference to it did you find - please post the link to the reference?
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 31. January 2009 23:32

Izzy wrote:What reference to it did you find - please post the link to the reference?

Hi Izzy,

This is the link:

viewtopic.php?t=25803&highlight=directory+mismatch

Thanks so for the response.

Best wishes
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 23:46

You are staring to get the hang of the forum search facility - well done. :)

That should work in Vista also - but if you can live with seeing it in the XCP it will do no harm and is only an entry in the registry added by the XCP and is of no consequence at all and can be safely and completely ignored.

This is the only relevant item in the Draven post that matters and would need to be followed if you edit the registry.
Code: Select all
So, by looking at the code, you can see that this value is located at :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\XAMPP
Registry Key : Install_Dir
Value : your_current_xampp_directory (E:\xampp in your case)

All you have to do is open the registry editor (start ---> run ---> type regedit then enter). Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. Right-click on SOFTWARE and Choose New ---> Key. Then, type XAMPP then, click OK. Navigate to the XAMPP Key you just created, then right click on the right column (anywhere in the big white space) then again, New ---> String Value. Name it Install_Dir (probably case sensitive!) then hit Enter. Double click this value and in the appropriate box, type the path of your current XAMPP installation (E:\xampp in your case). Close the registry and restart the Control Panel and you're ready to start.

Hope this help.
Draven
Give it a go if you like but read on...

...search first for how to edit the registry in Vista on Google as you should always back up the registry before making edits, best practice and really you should learn how to edit the registry as you may need to again sometime.

Also remember to do anything out of the user ordinary in Vista you would have to be an Admin and turn UAC off.
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 31. January 2009 23:58

Izzy wrote:You are staring to get the hang of the forum search facility - well done. :)

That should work in Vista also - but if you can live with seeing it in the XCP it will do no harm and is only an entry in the registry added by the XCP and is of no consequence at all and can be safely and completely ignored.

This is the only relevant item in the Draven post that matters and would need to be followed if you edit the registry.
So, by looking at the code, you can see that this value is located at :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\XAMPP
Registry Key : Install_Dir
Value : your_current_xampp_directory (E:\xampp in your case)

All you have to do is open the registry editor (start ---> run ---> type regedit then enter). Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. Right-click on SOFTWARE and Choose New ---> Key. Then, type XAMPP then, click OK. Navigate to the XAMPP Key you just created, then right click on the right column (anywhere in the big white space) then again, New ---> String Value. Name it Install_Dir (probably case sensitive!) then hit Enter. Double click this value and in the appropriate box, type the path of your current XAMPP installation (E:\xampp in your case). Close the registry and restart the Control Panel and you're ready to start.

Hope this help.
Draven
Give it a go if you like but read on...

...search first for how to edit the registry in Vista on Google as you should always back up the registry before making edits, best practice and really you should learn how to edit the registry as you may need to again sometime.

Also remember to do anything out of the user ordinary in Vista you would have to be an Admin and turn UAC off.

Huge thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but I've gone into the registry and the HKEY concerned, and cannot find Xampp under Software. Am I missing something here? :roll:

Dare I talk too soon, just to say it has been fab having the forum's support; for the most part installation has been a breeze.

Best wishes.
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 01. February 2009 00:11

I mis-informed you about the XCP making edits in the registry, in fact XCP actually looks for the Install_Dir entry in the registry that you will create by the Draven edits below.

You won't find an XAMPP key, you have to create it.

I will try and simplify the Draven instructions as it seems a bit jumbled and hard to follow.

Here is a link for how to backup the registry:
http://www.adamsdvds.co.uk/tutorials/vi ... backup.php

All you have to do is open the registry editor (start ---> run ---> type regedit then enter).

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE.

Right-click on SOFTWARE and Choose New ---> Key.

Then, type XAMPP then, click OK.

Navigate to the XAMPP Key you just created.

Then right click on the right column (anywhere in the big white space) then select again, New ---> String Value.

Name it Install_Dir (probably case sensitive!) then hit Enter.

Double click Install_Dir and in the appropriate box, type the path of your current XAMPP installation (E:\xampp in your case).

Close the registry and restart the Control Panel and you're ready to start.

I hope this is more understandable and yes the support you receive here should continue as it does and will for all our forum members. :)
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 01. February 2009 00:29

Izzy wrote:I mis-informed you about the XCP making edits in the registry, in fact XCP actually looks for the Install_Dir entry in the registry that you will create by the Draven edits below.

You won't find an XAMPP key, you have to create it.

I will try and simplify the Draven instructions as it seems a bit jumbled and hard to follow.

Here is a link for how to backup the registry:
http://www.adamsdvds.co.uk/tutorials/vi ... backup.php

All you have to do is open the registry editor (start ---> run ---> type regedit then enter).

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE.

Right-click on SOFTWARE and Choose New ---> Key.

Then, type XAMPP then, click OK.

Navigate to the XAMPP Key you just created.

Then right click on the right column (anywhere in the big white space) then select again, New ---> String Value.

Name it Install_Dir (probably case sensitive!) then hit Enter.

Double click Install_Dir and in the appropriate box, type the path of your current XAMPP installation (E:\xampp in your case).

Close the registry and restart the Control Panel and you're ready to start.

I hope this is more understandable and yes the support you receive here should continue as it does and will for all our forum members. :)

Absolutely marvellous with triple somersaults :D I hope I make it to Font of all Knowledge status!

Regards looking into registry adjustment and Vista, will do. I did my A+ exams a few years ago so there is a dim and distant recollection, albeit XP, that touched on the registry. As ever, if you don't use it regularly it's like starting over.

Brillant. Again, thanks so for all your help. Much appreciated.
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 01. February 2009 00:41

Again your most welcome.

BTW there would appear to be only some cosmetic differences in Vista from XP, so if you are XP orientated then Vista just has a different face in most cases and recognizing those slight differences should be a breeze for you. :D

Best wishes.
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 01. February 2009 00:47

Izzy wrote:Again your most welcome.

BTW there would appear to be only some cosmetic differences in Vista from XP, so if you are XP orientated then Vista just has a different face in most cases and recognizing those slight differences should be a breeze for you. :D

Best wishes.

Thanks, Izzy. Hopefully the more I play and all that. Probably will regain what I've learnt previously, grow accustomed, then a new OS will come out!! :wink:

Best wishes to you too.
rosie1

Return to XAMPP for Windows