SVN Portable

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

SVN Portable

Postby Quackstar » 30. January 2009 17:34

I've been tring for the past few days to find instructions for a portable svn server, but most are outdated and do not work. Also most don't take into account i already have a preconfigured apache installation.

Most things i have found specify an absolute path to the c:\ drive. While i could just change it to my usb drive, the drive letter might change.

So, how would i get a portable svn server up, running, and working even when the drive letter changes.
Quackstar

Re: SVN Portable

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 02:41

Quackstar wrote:I've been tring for the past few days to find instructions for a portable svn server, but most are outdated and do not work. Also most don't take into account i already have a preconfigured apache installation.

Most things i have found specify an absolute path to the c:\ drive. While i could just change it to my usb drive, the drive letter might change.

So, how would i get a portable svn server up, running, and working even when the drive letter changes.
Not an XAMPP issue so ask in an SVN forum not here.
Izzy

Postby Quackstar » 31. January 2009 03:09

Maybe i should of structured my question more carefully.

Will the setup_xampp.bat file update the path that i specify in the httpd.conf file? (IE change g:\xampp\htdocs\svn to e:\xampp\htdocs\svn)
Quackstar

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 03:17

If XAMPP is also installed on the USB then you should never run the setup_xampp.bat file.

If you do you render your USB unportable.

On a portable USB there should be no drive letters anywhere at all or again it becomes unportable.

Read the XAMPP readme_en.txt file with regard to installing XAMPP on a USB and also never use the installer version only a zip or 7zip version and extract inside the USB drive.

Also an app you install on a USB that relies on or edits the Windows registry is again unportable unless the same registry entry is on the PC the USB will next be inserted in.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows