Security

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Security

Postby rosie1 » 28. January 2009 15:28

Apologies, as I'm sure this question has been raised on many occasions. Gone through archives, and see varying experiences.

Please bear with me, as a complete novice. Have what appears to be a successful installation of xampp on Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Disabled UAC to install, as advised. Should this remain so, or is it just for installation purposes?
rosie1

Re: Security

Postby Izzy » 28. January 2009 23:22

After a successful install then it is possible to turn back on UAC but remember that to do any server admin like install/uninstall services or drivers on your PC etc. then you may have to turn it off again.

It can be controlled when on and there are various methods on how to control it, below I have provided some links to one or two of the many on the net (Google) that may help with this and other Vista annoyances.

More good info links in most of the sites below.

Vista tips and secrets

Disabling or tweaking UAC

UAC official blog at MSDN

How To Activate Vista's Secret 'Super' Administrator Account.

11 Vista Secrets

Microsoft's Windows Vista Help

Windows Vista Club (Good Vista site loads of info also with a forum).
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 29. January 2009 10:01

Izzy wrote:After a successful install then it is possible to turn back on UAC but remember that to do any server admin like install/uninstall services or drivers on your PC etc. then you may have to turn it off again.

It can be controlled when on and there are various methods on how to control it, below I have provided some links to one or two of the many on the net (Google) that may help with this and other Vista annoyances.

More good info links in most of the sites below.

Vista tips and secrets

Disabling or tweaking UAC

UAC official blog at MSDN

How To Activate Vista's Secret 'Super' Administrator Account.

11 Vista Secrets

Microsoft's Windows Vista Help

Windows Vista Club (Good Vista site loads of info also with a forum).

Thanks so, Izzy for the pointers. Will take a look at the links. Very grateful.
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 29. January 2009 10:08

Your most welcome.

There is lots of reading but the content is useful for new Vista users to gain competence and perhaps get a handle on the MS nanny influence. :)

Best wishes.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows