Crash on MySQL startup

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Crash on MySQL startup

Postby G0DLIKE » 21. January 2009 10:11

Hi everybody, I am completely noob on servers install and management, but I have 30 years of experience on computers, also of programming experience.
I now need to learn PHP and MySQL so I decided I'll run the server on my machine for ease of use.

I tried more and more times, installing and uninstalling everything and changing config files.
First of all I tell you that the XAMPP installation for Win does NOT change the drive letter. I installed in D: and all config files of MySQL were still pointing to C:.
Anyway, I tried to install in D:, then in C: and now in D: again.
I tried to delete all config files before reinstalling in C: (because when I uninstalled some old apache config file was probably not removed and was still pointing to D:...).

I opened all the doors manually on the Windows Firewall.

I must say, though, that unluckily the antivirus software here in the office is McAfee and I read in the FAQ that there can be problems with this. Note that I disabled real time scanning during XAMPP installation, though.

Apache server is running fine.
FileZilla is running fine.
I only have this damn problem with the MySQL server.

Here's what happens:
I start the service (it is installed as a service, and I tried both modes), XAMPP says "MySql service started" and after 2 or 3 seconds it crashes and window to send data to Microsoft pops up.
If I click Admin in the XAMPP panel before the service starts, the MySQL panel pops up, then when I click "Don't send" on the MS window it closes, BUT I still have the semaphore icon in the tray.
And the MySQL panel is working perfectly!

This is everything I can say, apart the fact that I am on WinXP with SP3 installed, the machine is pretty new (November) and the system is quite clean, there are only application for graphics, especially Adobe stuff.

Thank you fro help!

HEEEELLPP!! :D
G0DLIKE

Re: Crash on MySQL startup

Postby Wiedmann » 21. January 2009 10:17

If I click Admin in the XAMPP panel before the service starts,

Don't use this button (or the tool WinMySQLAdmin)!

- Close this tool,
- remove it from your startup folder,
- delete, if exists, any "my.ini" or "my.cnf" in your %WinDir%.
- delete the existing service ("sc delete mysql")
- recreate the service ("mysql_installservice.bat")
- restart your pc
and try again.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby G0DLIKE » 21. January 2009 10:23

Hey, thank you for your answer, I just solved it, there is a older thread in the forum, with title very similar to this.
I am blamable (?) of not having searched before posting, yes :oops:

Thank you and thanks very much to all the Apache Friends team for this utility!
I can't imagine what must be to make it work all together without such a piece of tool!
G0DLIKE

Postby cssbit » 21. January 2009 14:35

Hi,
i have the same problem,
so G0DLIKE whats the solution to fix this

thank
cssbit

Postby Izzy » 22. January 2009 02:38

Wiedmann wrote:
If I click Admin in the XAMPP panel before the service starts,

Don't use this button (or the tool WinMySQLAdmin)!

- Close this tool,
- remove it from your startup folder,
- delete, if exists, any "my.ini" or "my.cnf" in your %WinDir%.
- delete the existing service ("sc delete mysql")
- recreate the service ("mysql_installservice.bat")
- restart your pc
and try again.
Something wrong with trying the above?

BTW the OP's fix, as was mentioned, was derived by doing a forum search and perhaps if you do athe same for keywords similar to this topic you may also find the same results as the OP.
Izzy

Postby segelwindhose » 22. January 2009 23:35

Izzy - things will not become fixed if telling people to use the search engine. :?

There are more than three topics in the english and german forum about this problem
The number of comments (not fixes) is even higher, I've read and tried all !
No solution reported yet ... except GODLIKE who fixed but didn't respond how exactly.

To be honest: your fix does not work - especially at my machine: XP SP3, fresh and new !
You're addressing the problem of clicking Admin in the xampp panel, I never did.

When went through the post in the forum, there is one commonality: XP with SP3, e.g.
All install and uninstall .bat does not work ! Unchecking boxes in the xampp does not work too !
Killing services does not work !

! Just installing xampp out of the box and starting service does not work on XP SP3 !

So, if you have any idea or a link to another post ... I'll will be happy.
Right now, I'm going to read and search the solution, will inform in case of substantial progress.
segelwindhose

Postby Izzy » 23. January 2009 00:43

segelwindhose wrote:Izzy - things will not become fixed if telling people to use the search engine.
Reading the forum Announcement may help you to understand how to use the forum search facility correctly and being a new Apache Friends forum user it is the best place to start as answering the same questions over and over is quite a tedious task.
Usually laziness or ineptitude at varying the keywords leads to unsuccessful search results.

I just used uninstall xp|sp3 and came up with heaps of relevant results to hunt through.

segelwindhose wrote:There are more than three topics in the english and german forum about this problem
The number of comments (not fixes) is even higher, I've read and tried all !
No solution reported yet ... except GODLIKE who fixed but didn't respond how exactly.
Even the successful solutions in this post which is only a few posts down the forum list of topics didn't help?:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32588

segelwindhose wrote:To be honest: your fix does not work - especially at my machine: XP SP3, fresh and new
Wiedmann's fix list I do believe which looks to me like a general cumulative check list of past known fixes - individual circumstances and PC conditions are not taken into account - flexibility is the name of the game with all things MS.

segelwindhose wrote:When went through the post in the forum, there is one commonality: XP with SP3, e.g.
All install and uninstall .bat does not work ! Unchecking boxes in the xampp does not work too !
Killing services does not work !
..and sc delete mysql at a command prompt not working either - deleting or uninstalling services will only be effective if a service is installed in the first place and for some registry issue can't be uninstalled in the usual manner.

segelwindhose wrote:Just installing xampp out of the box and starting service does not work on XP SP3
Using the installer version are you, perhaps?

Don't elect to start the services until you have successfully installed XAMPP as they can easily be installed from the XAMPP Control Panel afterwards.

Then run mysql_start.bat file and see if you get errors reported.

Uninstall your current XAMPP by following Sharley's procedure in the above link then reinstall with a different version for example EXE(7zip) (preferred) or the zip version and then run setup_xampp.bat file to set your paths.
Restart your PC after uninstalling XAMPP and check that there are no MySQL services started again by using the Task Manger>Processes tab, ie mysql*.exe

Then run the mysql_start.bat file and see if you get any errors.

Don't try and reinstall over an existing xampp folder, delete the existing folder before installing a fresh install.

This has been a known fix for stubborn XP SP3 issues.

No ZoneAlarm or other firewall issue? - try temporarily disabling to test.

This topic had a successful out come on XP SP3 by reinstalling with a different version.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32658

segelwindhose wrote:Right now, I'm going to read and search the solution, will inform in case of substantial progress.
Please do that so it may help others like you that seem unable to find a suitable solution from the many previously posted on the forums.
Izzy

Postby klipper » 23. January 2009 14:19

Hi

I've same problem, and tried out all suggested solutions(also from other posts), but mysqld keeps on crashing after 2/3 sec. during installing service using mysql_start.bat. (WinXP pro SP3) Still looking for a solution...

Klipper
klipper

Postby segelwindhose » 23. January 2009 14:44

@klipper
i have a potential solution for you - it helps in my case.
look here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32969 but this is in German, please come back if you need English.

@Izzy I promised you: "... will inform in case of substantial progress."

And this was your answer:
Please do that so it may help others like you that seem unable to find a suitable solution from the many previously posted on the forums.

would you please recognize that the statement "solutions in the forum does not work for me" is not equal to "i didn't search, i'm unable". Thx.
would please recognize that if users (there are many of those in the forum) report a problem after searching, reading and trying, this is a fact !! Respect ! Thx.

keep searching !

otherwise read my solution to my problem; your repeated statements from this forum didn't give a solution.
maybe my particular solution is helpful to others too.
segelwindhose

Postby G0DLIKE » 03. June 2009 11:41

Sorry I am back here after some time and I completely forgot how I solved the problem... probably following exactly what was written in the other thread, I really don't remember now.
I just remember that the other thread I mentioned has a very similar name to this one so just search for "crash" and "mysql" and you should find it fast.
G0DLIKE

Return to XAMPP for Windows