Very slow running Joomla 1.58

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Very slow running Joomla 1.58

Postby docweathers » 20. January 2009 01:28

I have joomla 1.58 installed on both Xampp 1.68 and a live server. Both run very, very slowly. I have optimized the graphics, the .js files and removed all unnecessary modules. That did not help. I have obviously missed something but I don't know what. At this point, I think I need a tool that will let me time different elements being transferred from the database to see what is taking so long. Can you direct me to some tool I can use to clock different data elements as they are transferred from the database?

Thanks

Larry
docweathers

Re: Very slow running Joomla 1.58

Postby Izzy » 20. January 2009 01:43

Larry, there are 2 possible locations where performance tweaks may be carried out and they are in the xampp\apache\bin\php.ini and xampp\mysql\my.cnf files.
(The my.cnf file may look like a shortcut my file which you would drag into your text editor for reading and editing).

Remember if making edits to save the files and restart Apache and MySQL.

There is a folder in the xampp\mysql folder called sql-bench which may help with benchmarking but I have never had the need to use it so can't help you with that - the README file may have a how to.
Izzy

Postby Parahacker » 21. January 2009 16:28

Ok, after messing around with apache for a bit it's clear that the bottleneck here is with mysql. What tweaks to the my.cnf file do you recommend?
Parahacker

Postby docweathers » 21. January 2009 17:13

My concern is not that Joomla runs slow on Xampp, it is that it runs slow on both Xampp and my live server, which to me means the problem is with joomla. I am looking for how to speed up Joomla itself. One step I have just take that does help is using the Speedy joomla plugin. I don't have some bugs with Gzip worked out, but the rest of it clearly works well.

Larry
docweathers

Return to XAMPP for Windows