upgrade from 1.6.7 to 1.7

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

upgrade from 1.6.7 to 1.7

Postby Create Sean » 19. January 2009 23:57

The documentation isn't very clear about what I should do to upgrade my xampp install to 1.7 from 1.6.7 - How do I ensure that I won't lose any databases etc?
Create Sean

Re: upgrade from 1.6.7 to 1.7

Postby Izzy » 20. January 2009 00:38

Create Sean wrote:The documentation isn't very clear about what I should do to upgrade my xampp install to 1.7 from 1.6.7 - How do I ensure that I won't lose any databases etc?
The XAMPP home page clearly states that an upgrade is not recommended and a fresh install of 1.7.0 should be carried out.

To backup your databases use phpMyAdmin's export feature and save the files as *.sql ready for importing into your fresh 1.7.0 installation.

After the installation and the import of your databases run xampp\mysql\bin\mysql_upgrade.exe to upgrade your databases.

Normally you would upgrade from 1.6.7 to 1.6.8 then to 1.7.0 - previous XAMPP files are stored in the SourceForge repository linked from the XAMPP For Windows home page.

If you want to try and upgrade to 1.7.0 then make a Copy of xampp by dragging the folder with the Ctrl key pressed - this will allow you then to edit any files in the 1.7.0 upgrade install folder using the files as a reference from your Copy of - don't copy over and overwrite existing XAMPP system files in the 1.7.0 installations as this will fail.

It is then also possible to copy over your databases from the Copy of mysql\data folder to the 1.7.0 mysql\data folder without the need to export from phpMyAdmin - but only copy over those database folders with a name that you know are your existing databases (the folders are named after your databases).

Then run the above mysql_upgrade.exe file to upgrade those copied database - follow the upgrade readme file.

This Copy of method also helps if the 1.7.0 upgrade fails - simply delete or rename the 1.7.0 xampp folder. Then rename the Copy of xampp back to xampp and you have your working 1.6.7 version back intact.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows