only backup neccessary files.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

only backup neccessary files.

Postby adnet23 » 19. January 2009 22:42

I want to know the quickest way to backup all my sites from my local XAMPP folder. I work on a laptop and a desktop computer and it has taken too long for me to copy the whole XAMPP folder which is a few hundred mb.
Im using XAMPP 1.7.0 zip files (without installation) and all my sites utilize mySQL databases.

I know I can make a copy of the htdocs folder (where my site files live)
and I can export my databases from phpmyadmin.
and this works fine to move my sites...

...but would it be quicker to copy the htdocs folder, and whatever folder the mysql databases live in.
Then I can just paste these folders into the XAMPP folder on my other computer.

I just want to find a quick way to move my sites back and forth between computers.

Thanks! I love XAMPP. Will you make a portable version that adds an xampp tray icon to start and stop services( like apache, php, phpmyadmin)?
adnet23

Re: only backup neccessary files.

Postby Izzy » 19. January 2009 22:57

and whatever folder the mysql databases live in.
Your databases happily reside in xampp city in mysql street in a mansion called data - please ring the bell for attention or leave a note if no one home. :D
Izzy

Postby adnet23 » 21. January 2009 07:29

Izzy wrote:
and whatever folder the mysql databases live in.
Your databases happily reside in xampp city in mysql street in a mansion called data - please ring the bell for attention or leave a note if no one home. :D

Thats great. Very creative way to put it! So I will assume all I need to do is copy to the (htdocs) and (data) folder and ive got a copy of my sites. That's gonna save me a lot of time every time i back up, or move my sites.

Thanks!
adnet23

Postby Izzy » 21. January 2009 07:50

Your welcome.

Don't forget that if you run xampp-control.exe (XAMPP Control Panel - XCP) found in the xampp installation folder you can start and stop Apache and MySQL (also FileZilla FTP and the Mercury Mail servers if required) and then if you click on the X to normally close a Windows program or an open Window, it actually puts the XAMPP Control Panel on the system tray ready for action with a nice XAMPP icon - if you click on the Exit button it will close the XCP.

You can make a shortcut on your desktop for phpMyAdmin by using the URI http://localhost/phpmyadmin in the address bar of the shortcut maker - right click on a blank part of the desktop select New>Shortcut>Type the location of the item>http://localhost/phpmyadmin>Next>Type a name for the shortcut>phpMyAdmin>Finish.

Now you have an icon in the systray that will stop and start the XAMPP components and a shortcut for phpMyAdmin on your desktop and you're all set to go.

Good luck and stay happy.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows