XAMPP security

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP security

Postby sana » 19. January 2009 07:49

Hi,
I'M planning to use XAMPP in our live envrionemnt with opengoo.I've following concerns, and your quick response is highly appreciated.

-Can xampp be used in live environment after changing xampp root passwrod which comes blank by default?What other security issues we would face.
-What is constraint or differnce if i we use apache, mysql and php separately or by xampp?What performance issue we would face?I'm having a problem with xampp, when i m connected to Windows2003 server remotely, i cant log off until i stop apache & mysql from xampp.Is this normal?
-Can i use xampp in live environment with opengoo for around 20 people.Do i need to change any setting for memory or anything else?
-Is xampp is completely free?This thing is not clear to me because xampp says for 'few mysql' component, check license agreement.Could you please elaborate?

Appreciate your reponse
sana

Re: XAMPP security

Postby Izzy » 19. January 2009 08:38

sana wrote:I'M planning to use XAMPP in our live envrionemnt with opengoo...
...Can xampp be used in live environment after changing xampp root passwrod which comes blank by default?What other security issues we would face.
Search for security (link)

sana wrote:What is constraint or differnce if i we use apache, mysql and php separately or by xampp?
Much harder to configure and until you harden the server yourself (add server security) then it could be less secure.

sana wrote:What performance issue we would face?
Until you have performance or memory issues then it would be difficult to address those issues.
Search for performance (link)

sana wrote:I'm having a problem with xampp, when i m connected to Windows2003 server remotely, i cant log off until i stop apache & mysql from xampp.Is this normal?
What are you trying to do exactly?
Remember we can't see what you are doing so you have to relay back all the details...?
..."and your quick response is highly appreciated".

sana wrote:Can i use xampp in live environment with opengoo for around 20 people.Do i need to change any setting for memory or anything else?
I don't know what opengoo is.
See your first question and your third question.

sana wrote:Is xampp is completely free?This thing is not clear to me because xampp says for 'few mysql' component, check license agreement.Could you please elaborate?
Yes but if using MySQL for commercial purposes then check out their license on their web site, as pointed out in the text you have read on the Apache Friends website - which is as clear as it gets.
search for commercial use (link)

For a quick response you ask many questions that mostly searching the forums would have answered for you much quicker.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows