Need helping changing MySQL passwords

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Need helping changing MySQL passwords

Postby fumbling » 16. January 2009 22:48

I'm a newbie using XAMPP 1.7 on Vista. When I go to phpMyAdmin, I get the following warning:

Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole.

I tried following the instructions here to change the password: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8829&p=133186#p133186

But that is a 4-year old topic so not sure it's still valid, or whether I'm doing it right

In any event, I went to Privileges >> Edit User: root (host: localhost) >> Change password. Once there, I entered a new password in both boxes, radio button "password" selected and radio button "MySQL 4.1+" selected, then I clicked "Go."

The result was the following error:

Error
SQL query:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'[my email address here]' = PASSWORD( '*********' )

MySQL said:

#1133 - Can't find any matching row in the user table

where it reads [my email address here] in the above is my email address. That looks like it could be the problem, because essentially it reads 'root'@[something]@[something].com, which can't be right with two @ symbols I wouldn't think.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.
fumbling

Re: Need helping changing MySQL passwords

Postby Izzy » 17. January 2009 01:33

selected and radio button "MySQL 4.1+" selected, then I clicked "Go."
Repeat the process and follow the link instructions below only this time don't select this 4.1+ radio button as we are now into MySQL 5.

This link may be more up to date:
viewtopic.php?p=132897#p132897

BTW is this 1.7.0 a default installation or did you upgrade from an older XAMPP version?
Izzy

Postby fumbling » 17. January 2009 02:08

Thanks for the quick response.

This is a fresh install, no upgrade.

The "MySQL 4.1+" radio button is filled-in/toggled-to by default. I can't un-check it, and the only other option for the radio-button to toggle to is "MySQL 4.0 compatible" which wouldn't seem to make sense. I think the "MySQL 4.1+" choice is meant to include MySQL 5 so should I leave that alone?

Thanks again for all your help.
fumbling

Postby Izzy » 17. January 2009 02:42

Your correct about the 4.1+ issue I was trying to rely on my memory instead of actually trying to physically replicate your issue.

Try this:
login to phpMyAdmin - I take it you already have a password set from the Security page after you installed XAMPP, is that correct?
(Or login to PMA with a blank password if none is set).

Go to Privileges>edit root>localhost

Check out the section below that's called Change Login Information / Copy User

Should be the following:
User name:>Use text field:>root
Host:>local>localhost

Password: Choices>Do not change password>No password>Use text field
Select No Password - to delete your current password
Select Use text field - to change the password
The other choice is self explanatory.

We are going to use No Password to clear and start again the password login process.

This time select No Password.

Next section Create a new user with the same privileges and ...
Radio button>...keep the old one - which means we are going to keep the privileges for the super user root.

Next click on Go - you should get a green Your SQL query has been executed successfully
Exit PMA.

Now login again with root but a blank password field.

The above should have deleted any passwords set for root and display the usual appropriate warnings.

Let me know back if you get this far without hitch then we will move forward.
Izzy

Postby fumbling » 17. January 2009 22:07

Thanks, really appreciate it. I made the changes and got to the point where it confirmed:

Your SQL query has been executed successfully

Beyond that, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "logout of PMA" I have http://localhost/phpmyadmin/index.php bookmarked and just go there directly to make changes. I've never logged in or logged out of it that I remember, except maybe on setup. Hope that doesn't throw a monkey wrench into things.

Anyway, looking forward to next steps, thanks again.
fumbling

Postby Izzy » 17. January 2009 22:32

fumbling wrote:...I've never logged in or logged out...
Which tells me you have never set a password for phpMyAdmin or MySQL before - correct?

You have not read the readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder either which contains a section "A matter of security (A MUST READ!)".

Other suggested reading:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xampp-windows.html
http://localhost - exercise all the menu options and read each page as they do contain further XAMPP information.

As a new user of XAMPP and these forums may I suggest you familiarize yourself with the excellent features of the forum Search facility.
Izzy

Postby fumbling » 27. January 2009 02:23

Thanks, my apologies. I thought I'd read all the proper docs and followed the right tutorials in setting up XAMPP, and I searched the forums first, which I agree is always the way to go. I missed the link on the /security page that made all the difference in setting up the password. Thanks again for your help, appreciate it.
fumbling

Postby Izzy » 27. January 2009 02:53

fumbling wrote:Thanks, my apologies.
Your welcome and apologies not needed.

I am pleased you now have it sorted and hopefully you will now enjoy the XAMPP experience.

Good Luck.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows