MySQL problems

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL problems

Postby qbjj07 » 16. January 2009 08:01

I got the message "Cannot find path specified" when trying to run MySQL, and I think I have traced the problem and now I need help fixing it. I went into services and looked at the MySQL service and the path to executable gives a path to a previous version of MySQL I have since taken off the computer. So my question is how do I change the path to direct it to the mysql in my xampp package?

Thanks for your help.
qbjj07
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 10. January 2009 07:54

Re: MySQL problems

Postby Izzy » 16. January 2009 08:09

Open a command prompt
Click start
Click on Run...
Type: cmd.exe

Type:
sc delete mysql
Click OK

BTW - sc is an acceptable abbreviation for sc.exe Windows Service Controller and will delete any stray services that won't shut down by any normal means, among other services commands.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: MySQL problems

Postby qbjj07 » 16. January 2009 08:32

Thanks for your help. Did the delete thing, and the service appears to be successfully uninstalled. I ran the mysql_install next, and it still says path not found. So how do I make sure the install path is correct?
qbjj07
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 10. January 2009 07:54

Re: MySQL problems

Postby Izzy » 16. January 2009 08:37

qbjj07 wrote:I ran the mysql_install next, and it still says path not found. So how do I make sure the install path is correct?
What is mysql_install?
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: MySQL problems

Postby qbjj07 » 16. January 2009 08:41

Nevermind. MySQL appears to be running now. Thanks for the help.

So at this point, how do I get phpmyadmin to run?
qbjj07
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 10. January 2009 07:54

Re: MySQL problems

Postby Izzy » 16. January 2009 08:45

Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: MySQL problems

Postby qbjj07 » 16. January 2009 08:48

Izzy wrote:http://localhost/phpmyadmin


There is nothing at that link. I have apache and mysql started, did I miss something?
qbjj07
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 10. January 2009 07:54

Re: MySQL problems

Postby Izzy » 16. January 2009 08:55

Nothing at the other links either?
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: MySQL problems

Postby qbjj07 » 16. January 2009 08:57

Izzy wrote:Nothing at the other links either?


nope
qbjj07
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 10. January 2009 07:54

Re: MySQL problems

Postby Izzy » 16. January 2009 09:02

Then I suspect that Apache and MySQL are not running.

How did you start Apache and MySQL?

Did you use the XAMPP Control Panel?
in the xampp folder double click on xampp-control.exe

Apache and MySQL should show running in green.

Check using Task Manager>Processes tab by right clicking on the Task Bar.
Check and see if you have 2 apache files and 1 mysql file processes running.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: MySQL problems

Postby qbjj07 » 16. January 2009 09:08

I did use the control panel.
Apache and MySQL both show running in green, but I couldn't find either in the task manager anywhere.
qbjj07
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 10. January 2009 07:54

Re: MySQL problems

Postby Izzy » 16. January 2009 09:16

qbjj07 wrote:I did use the control panel.
Apache and MySQL both show running in green, but I couldn't find either in the task manager anywhere.
If they are not in the Processes tab of the Task Manager then they are not running.

Try stopping them in the XCP till the green running goes away.

Now go to the xampp folder and double click on the apache_start.bat and paste any error messages here.
(To copy and paste from a console window click on the little icon to left of the window titlw bar and the click on the Edit item - the mark and copy are located in there then just paste the results in the forum reply box).
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: MySQL problems

Postby qbjj07 » 16. January 2009 09:24

Izzy wrote:
qbjj07 wrote:I did use the control panel.
Apache and MySQL both show running in green, but I couldn't find either in the task manager anywhere.
If they are not in the Processes tab of the Task Manager then they are not running.

Try stopping them in the XCP till the green running goes away.

Now go to the xampp folder and double click on the apache_start.bat and paste any error messages here.
(To copy and paste from a console window click on the little icon to left of the window titlw bar and the click on the Edit item - the mark and copy are located in there then just paste the results in the forum reply box).


"Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Running beenden
Bitte erst bei einem gewollten Shutdown schliessen
Please close this command only for Shutdown
Apache 2 is starting ...
apache.exe: Syntax error on line 42 of C:/xampp/xampp/apache/conf/httpd.conf: Se
rverRoot must be a valid directory

Apache konnte nicht gestartet werden
Apache could not be started
Press any key to continue . . ."
qbjj07
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 10. January 2009 07:54

Re: MySQL problems

Postby Izzy » 16. January 2009 09:35

Paste here what line 42 of C:/xampp/xampp/apache/conf/httpd.conf

You installed XAMPP to C:/xampp/xampp ?

Best to install to the C:\ drive then it will create C:\xampp not C:\xampp\xampp


3 Searches results for serverroot must be a valid directory
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32638&hilit=ServerRoot+must+be+a+valid+directory

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29532&hilit=ServerRoot+must+be+a+valid+directory

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28456&hilit=ServerRoot+must+be+a+valid+directory
Last edited by Izzy on 16. January 2009 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: 25. April 2006 17:06

Re: MySQL problems

Postby qbjj07 » 16. January 2009 09:38

Izzy wrote:Paste here what line 42 of C:/xampp/xampp/apache/conf/httpd.conf

You installed XAMPP to C:/xampp/xampp ?

Best to install to the C:\ drive then it will create C:\xampp not C:\xampp\xampp


I tried to put it on the C:\ drive, but must have messed up somehow. Is that a big deal?

What program do I use to view the file you asked about, the .conf?
qbjj07
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 10. January 2009 07:54

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests