Choosing right file from 1.7 release

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Choosing right file from 1.7 release

Postby Rose » 15. January 2009 13:10

I would like to download XAMPP for Windows from the 1.7 release.

I would like to select the file from that release that best suits the architecture of my computer - a DELL INSPIRON 2500, WINDOWS XP Home Edition Version 2002. There are 14 options in the list contained in the release. How do I select the correct version?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best,
Rose
Rose

Re: Choosing right file from 1.7 release

Postby Izzy » 15. January 2009 13:37

Rose wrote:I would like to select the file from that release that best suits the architecture of my computer - a DELL INSPIRON 2500, WINDOWS XP Home Edition Version 2002. There are 14 options in the list contained in the release. How do I select the correct version?

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
I only see 3 choices and clicking on any will download that choice.

The SourceForge repository is confusing with all those 14 choices so best download from the above page or see the files listed below.

My personal choice for your situation on XP would be the EXE (7zip) self extracting exe file.

Download and extract to the C:\ drive, which is the default, and it will create a tree C:\xampp and place all the files in the correct place.

Then simply find and double click on the setup-xampp.bat file.

When it is finished doing it's job of editing the required paths, Start the XAMPP components Apache and MySQL from the XAMPP Control Panel xampp-control.exe found in the xampp folder, then visit
http://localhost
in your browser, select your language and test your installation using the menu item presented.

Others have had issue on XP with the Installer version but most do not - tip if you use this Installer version elect not to start any components as a Service as this can be done later in the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP).

The ZIP version is similar to the EXE (7zip) version, though it is not self extracting so a unzip program is required also it is much a larger file size to download.

The files on SourceForge relating to the 3 above version types are:
xampp-win32-1.7.0.exe = EXE (7zip)
xampp-win32-1.7.0-installer.exe = Installer
xampp-win32-1.7.0.zip = ZIP

Good luck and Enjoy XAMPP.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows