using xampp for commercial purpose

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

using xampp for commercial purpose

Postby blueberry » 12. January 2009 10:31

hi, i'm a website developer who will build website for my clients. my question is can i use open source xampp in my development process, because this is considered for commercial purpose?

thanks!
blueberry

Re: using xampp for commercial purpose

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 10:54

I am also a website developer and I use XAMPP on my PC when developing and testing my client websites, which is perhaps one of the intentions of the XAMPP developers when creating the package.

Your clients, and mine, may well be hosting their websites on a Linux based Apache web server - the only major difference is the OS being used.

It is not intended that XAMPP be used as web server in a production environment ie. as a 'permanently connected to the Internet' web server on a local PC - some security issues that are not addressed in a default installation can be disastrous.

The XAMPP website wrote:The license
XAMPP is a compilation of free software (comparable to a Linux distribution), it's free of charge and it's free to copy under the terms of the GNU General Public License. But it is only the compilation of XAMPP that is published under GPL. Please check every single license of the contained products to get an overview of what is, and what isn't, allowed.

In the case of commercial use please take a look at the product licenses (especially MySQL), from the XAMPP point of view commercial use is also free.
The license and more on the XAMPP home page:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

By the way, you can make a helpful donation for it's use if you feel it would help compensate for it's commercial use, which would be received with thanks and greatly appreciated - details at the top of the above home page.
Izzy

Postby blueberry » 12. January 2009 12:15

Izzy wrote:I am also a website developer and I use XAMPP on my PC when developing and testing my client websites, which is perhaps one of the intentions of the XAMPP developers when creating the package.

Your clients, and mine, may well be hosting their websites on a Linux based Apache web server - the only major difference is the OS being used.

It is not intended that XAMPP be used as web server in a production environment ie. as a 'permanently connected to the Internet' web server on a local PC - some security issues that are not addressed in a default installation can be disastrous.

yup, i'm only use xampp in the web development process, the website will then be hosted in other web hosting company that provide the server. so, you meant it is legal to use xampp in this way?

The XAMPP website wrote:The license
XAMPP is a compilation of free software (comparable to a Linux distribution), it's free of charge and it's free to copy under the terms of the GNU General Public License. But it is only the compilation of XAMPP that is published under GPL. Please check every single license of the contained products to get an overview of what is, and what isn't, allowed.

In the case of commercial use please take a look at the product licenses (especially MySQL), from the XAMPP point of view commercial use is also free.
The license and more on the XAMPP home page:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

By the way, you can make a helpful donation for it's use if you feel it would help compensate for it's commercial use, which would be received with thanks and greatly appreciated - details at the top of the above home page.

i did read about the provided link before, but my confuse is as xampp contained of several components, i'm not sure whether those component allows my usage? so, what's your opinion in this case? especially the MySQL, one or two years before, i did read from the site that if we use MySQL, then our developed application need to become open source too. but, currently i just can't find this statement in the site again...
blueberry

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 12:29

You have only 3 choices
1. Use XAMPP
2. Don't use XAMPP
3. Download and install all the components yourself that XAMPP has combined for you.
That choice is yours and yours alone.

The XAMPP license could not be any clearer.
Izzy

Postby blueberry » 12. January 2009 15:24

thanks! more opinion and information are welcome and appreciated. :D
blueberry

Postby Izzy » 13. January 2009 01:37

What more is needed and more importantly what more do you need to make a simple decision that is taken by millions on the Internet daily?

Is it that you want someone to tell you that it is quite legal to do what ever you want to do, then you have a scapegoat or an excuse to cry out to those big heavy thug like copyright police when they smash down your door in the middle of the night, that "some on a website told me it was ok to do this" before they cart you off to the copyright offender's concentration camp, where they will beat you daily until you confess that you broke the copyright laws yourself? :D
Izzy

Postby blueberry » 13. January 2009 05:18

Izzy wrote:What more is needed and more importantly what more do you need to make a simple decision that is taken by millions on the Internet daily?

Is it that you want someone to tell you that it is quite legal to do what ever you want to do, then you have a scapegoat or an excuse to cry out to those big heavy thug like copyright police when they smash down your door in the middle of the night, that "some on a website told me it was ok to do this" before they cart you off to the copyright offender's concentration camp, where they will beat you daily until you confess that you broke the copyright laws yourself? :D

sorry, i never think like this...you are thinking too much in this case... :(

i just need more confirmation in making my decision, because don't want to do any illegal things... :)
blueberry

Postby Izzy » 13. January 2009 05:28

blueberry wrote:sorry, i never think like this...you are thinking too much in this case... :(
No sense of humor either I see.

blueberry wrote:i just need more confirmation in making my decision, because don't want to do any illegal things... :)
What more confirmation do you need other than that which has already been provided both here and on the above web site.

If you are so indecisive then please e-mail the developers, addresses in the Contact page of the above site or simply PM Oswald the forum admin and lead developer or kvo or Wiedmann, with your commercial use concerns.
Last edited by Izzy on 13. January 2009 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby blueberry » 13. January 2009 06:53

Izzy wrote:
blueberry wrote:sorry, i never think like this...you are thinking too much in this case... :(
No sense of humor either I see.

blueberry wrote:i just need more confirmation in making my decision, because don't want to do any illegal things... :)
What more confirmation do you need other than that which has already been provided both here and on the above web site.

If you are so indecisive then please e-mail the developers, addresses in the Contact page of the above site or simply PM Oswald the forum admin and lead developer or kvo or Weidmann, with your commercial use concerns.

sorry, i have no intention to offend here. i appologize if i have unconsciously offended you.
blueberry

Postby Izzy » 13. January 2009 07:01

blueberry wrote:sorry, i have no intention to offend here. i appologize if i have unconsciously offended you.
You did not nor could ever offend me - I am just frustrated and impatient by having to repeat what has already been clearly stated. :)
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows