How to use the MySQL?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to use the MySQL?

Postby Cory » 12. January 2009 03:44

Hello,

I couldn't find any documentation or guides on how to set up a MySQL database, username, password, etc. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!! :D

EDIT:
I think I found it. Is it in the Passwords file? Is that how I edit it? Or is that just telling me the default passes?

Thanks again!! :D
Cory

Re: How to use the MySQL?

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 03:55

MySQL databases, database users and their password are best setup by using
http://localhost/phpmyadmin

I did a bit of a tutorial on creating a database etc. for another member Aimee using Wordpress as an example.

See if this helps after trying to follow it:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=112258#112258

If you want to set up a security password for the phpMyAdmin/MySQL combo's root user then the instruction are contained in the readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder under the heading A matter of security (A MUST READ!)
Izzy

Postby Cory » 12. January 2009 04:13

Figured it out. Not supose to put the phpmyadmin folder into htdocs. Some videoguide I watched had you do that.

DAMN YOUTUBE!! :)

EDIT:
I'll read your guide as well. Thanks for the help.

EDIT:
* cdcol (1)
* information_schema (28)
* mysql (23)
* phpmyadmin (8)
* test
* webauth (1)

Can those databases be deleted from the phpmyadmin without causing harm to the system?

Thanks again. :)
Cory

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 04:23

Cory wrote:...Says that when I try to access the phpmyadmin directory, and YES I put it inside the htdocs folder.
Why did you put it there as it would normally not need to be moved from it's default location in C:\xampp\phpMyAdmin which is also linked to other configurations - I would return it to that location and hope it has not messed things up.

It really is not wise to do things in XAMPP that you don't understand or you can mess up big time.

I take it you are on Vista and you have version 1.7.0 of XAMPP?
Try a forum search for access forbidden which will give you the answers as this has been asked and answered many times.
Izzy

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 04:30

Cory wrote:Figured it out. Not supose to put the phpmyadmin folder into htdocs. Some videoguide I watched had you do that.

DAMN YOUTUBE!! :)

EDIT:
I'll read your guide as well. Thanks for the help.

EDIT:
* cdcol (1)
* information_schema (28)
* mysql (23)
* phpmyadmin (8)
* test
* webauth (1)

Can those databases be deleted from the phpmyadmin without causing harm to the system?...
Your editing while I am replying. :(

Do not do anything in XAMPP that you don't understand until you have acquired the knowledge to change or edit thing.

No do not remove any databases until you know what they do and in particular the system databases or you will mess up continually big time!

Use these forums if you have questions - This forum is the best place as the developers often visit from time to time.

BTW please be aware that the htdocs folder is the web root folder and is accessible from the Internet for your websites - so if you put system files or folders in the htdocs folder they can and will be accessed, perhaps by anyone who may want to do harm, from the Internet.
Izzy

Postby dmphotography » 12. January 2009 04:41

@ Izzy,
I completely understand why he would do that, although a little reading would've done him some good.

But after hours and hours of reading, it can be easy to start searching videos or even following other tutorials on how to get phpMyAdmin to work. If you install phpMyAdmin without XAMPP, it won't have the Alias entry meaning either you create it or put the phpMyAdmin in your htdocs folder so you can access it. Since XAMPP does all the dirty work, this method isn't necessary and obviously won't work due to directory structure.

The extensive documentation on the various parts can get exhausting and that's pretty much what drove me to create the website I have with tutorials trying to make the steps beyond installation easy. I'm learning by frequenting these forums there are just so many unseen variables that means my guides won't work 100% of the time, much like software developers experience I'm sure.

But yeah. a lot of this stuff is way over people's heads as it was for me and I'm still learning, but getting a much better grasp on how it works. It CAN be easy, but someone has got to illustrate it that way, which is what I'm trying to do.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Cory » 12. January 2009 05:29

Experience is the best teacher. I'm starting to get the hang of it. Just wanted to ask before doing it though.

You can create new users and change their passwords by editing the mysql database under the user table correct? How do you login with a different user?

Thanks for your help guys. :)
Cory

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 05:51

Cory wrote:You can create new users and change their passwords by editing the mysql database under the user table correct?
Wrong. The passwords are encrypted by the their creation process in phpMyAdmin when you create that database and you create a user/pass combo for that database - changes can be made under the Privileges menu item for that user once created.
Cory wrote:How do you login with a different user?
If you wish to login to phpMyAdmin to access that database using that database's username and password you will only be able to access or see that database associated with that username - root user can see and edit all databases - see note below.

NOTE
Don't use the super user root as a username for any database you create, it will seriously weaken your server's security, use a different username as root has access to all databases and if in the wrong hands can devastate ALL MySQL databases.
Izzy

Postby Cory » 12. January 2009 21:35

Nevermind, figured it out.

Thanks again
Cory

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 23:52

Cory wrote:Nevermind, figured it out.

Thanks again
For closure of the topic do you mind telling us how you 'figured it out' so other readers may benefit from your knowledge please?
After all we offered you our knowledge to help with your issues.
Thanks.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows