Anyone interested in creating a team?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Anyone interested in creating a team?

Postby dmphotography » 02. January 2009 16:12

Hey everyone,
I've learned so much in the past few weeks since I decided to take on the challenge of starting my own web server. I had been entertained by the idea in the past, but I didn't have the first clue how to even start and especially publicizing it to the internet. Things have changed now and I've succeeded at doing just that. I first started off trying to install each component and couldn't get phpmyadmin to work. Then I discovered XAMPP. Wow, what a breeze that's made the setup and install process!

After I succeeded at installing it and getting my own phpBB forum up and going, I grew increasingly curious on learning more and trying other addons and configurations. I've learned there are many challenges and complications one will encounter depending on so many variables such as if their server is installed on a Windows or Linux server etc. The problem I've found is most of the information you'll find are either vague tutorials or partial threads only resolving one issue a person is stuck on, like many of the threads here. For example, "I can't reach my web pages via my IP".

That got me thinking, why not make a website dedicated to helping people start their own web server and adding on things such as forums, blogs, and other script addons? And I don't mean another support forum like this, because this one works great and there are several others that also do the same. Instead, make one that is complete with notes and tutorials that thoroughly explains the process of installing and configuring the components and try to make a very thorough troubleshooting guide for problems encountered during setting up and installing them that a complete newbie can follow and manage to get working without advanced programming knowledge.

I don't really intend on supporting anything like "OMG, I deleted MySQL and when I try to reinstall, it won't work!". Those types of scenarios are for this forum. My goal is to walk someone through successfully installing and setting it up to get it running. If they mess it up beyond that, then that's their issue.

I'm using VMware workstation to install and configure the different OS's and then installing XAMPP on them and doing my testing that way so multi-platform testing is very easy to manage.

I didn't really know where to go to find others willing to help make, develop, and troubleshoot installations for the tutorials and I figured this place was probably the best since everything I'm doing is based off an XAMPP install. I greatly appreciate any help anyone is willing to give to this project, whether it be just assisting in troubleshooting or writing full tutorials themselves.

I believe by forming a team, it'd be much easier to solve the problems encountered and be quicker than just posting to a forum and waiting for others to respond. I'm somewhat limited on my knowledge and understanding of PHP and configuration issues, but I have managed to overcome several challenges and think this would be much more efficient to have others onboard for the challenge.

If you're interested, you can contact me via email at imchillindave@hotmail.com or my website I'm posting my work to, which for now is located at http://www.imgoingtoreportyou.com .

Thank you in advance!

Dave
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Second Call?

Postby dmphotography » 26. January 2009 03:54

I wanted to bump this post and see if anyone perhaps has changed their mind? Haha.

I've developed the website for this project already and have quite a bit of content on it so far, but I still could use some help. The website is http://www.myownserver.info and it's getting over 100 hits a week so far just starting out. I launched it on about January 10th and I have been surprised at the feedback and traffic I've gotten to it so far.

I want to continue developing and improving it and I am still wondering if anyone here is interested in helping me do that? I would appreciate even just suggestions and feedback to help me improve the content if nothing else.

Thanks again!
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows