name servers

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

name servers

Postby diasick » 02. January 2009 01:37

what is the name server for domains.. i want to point my domain to my ip adress till i buy hosting
diasick

Re: name servers

Postby Sharley » 02. January 2009 01:54

Use a free zone file service like ZoneEdit then when you have registered and set up your domain there, go to your domain registrar and add the name servers in your domain control panel given to you by ZoneEdit.

When you have added your NAMESERVER 1 and 2 at your domain registrar (GoDaddy for example) it can take up to 48 hours for the info to propagate the Internet's DNS caches but is quite often much less than 24 hours.

They are very good with full zone services including email (MX), domain parking and forwarding etc. for up to 5 domains for free and they even have a dynamic IP update service if your ISP's IP is dynamic.

I highly recommend and use this very reliable free ZoneEdit service.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby diasick » 02. January 2009 20:31

thanks buddy...

could i use this to host my entire site.. i have a vbulletin theres probably about 400 people online a day on this type of forum im running, if not i would only use it as a test source so i can collaborate with my administrators on a test board on stuff like skins.. i only restart my comp 2 times a day so its on pretty much all the time
diasick

Postby Sharley » 03. January 2009 01:14

Absolutely, you will be your own hosting provider now and setting up your zone file will ensure that when anyone types your domain name in their browser it will go to your server on your PC, but remember that XAMPP is not intended as a production server more of a development environment - read the Security section of the readme_en.txt file and perhaps a Forum search for security might help (beware the script kiddies). ;)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby dmphotography » 03. January 2009 19:32

I too use ZoneEdit and it's not too difficult to configure.

What I recommend doing it buy a spare domain name and test with it first before redirecting your current domain to your computer.

That way you can work out any issues you have before going live and not have your main domain down.
You can even have multiple domains pointed at your server and if you want to learn a little more, you can
look into how to have domains point to different sites on your server.

For instance, you can have www.domain1.com go to your forums you have installed in /htdocs/,
then have www.domain2.com go to a blog you have installed in /htdocs2/.

Just post if you need any help and someone will surely find an answer for ya.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Sharley » 03. January 2009 23:38

dmphotography wrote:What I recommend doing it buy a spare domain name and test with it first before redirecting your current domain to your computer.
IMHO, that's not necessary and would be a waste of money and a waste of time - personally I have never had to resort to this as the forms and instructions are designed even for a total new user.

ZoneEdit has comprehensive help attached to each screen with examples for your particular domain that will guide you by example - and apart from that it is a very simple exercise that most people will have no difficulty with - and of course Google is your friend.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows