Cannot load localhost

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cannot load localhost

Postby matejkralik » 26. December 2008 21:33

Hello, can you give me some possible reasons why I cannot load localhost? I've got also IIS installed, when I log there to turn off processes, I get this message:

MMC could not create snap-in.

I'm not sure If I reached the point but at least please write me some response...

thank you in advance
matejkralik

Re: Cannot load localhost

Postby Wiedmann » 27. December 2008 00:29

can you give me some possible reasons why I cannot load localhost?

THere is no webserver running on your localhost?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby ifdef » 27. December 2008 22:11

Try launching the IIS snap in from the run prompt, Start > Run or Windows key + r, by typing "inetmgr". It it dosen't load its probably just rubbish, then try this.

At the run prompt type "services.msc" then press run. This will open the service snap in. Look for a service called World Wide Web... and see if its running. If so set it to manual in its properties and make sure that it is stopped. The next step is to check to see if there is an Apache service registered on the system. If so try to start that and see if it will load.

What we are trying to do here is to verify that IIS is either not installed or if it is that it is not running at the same time we try to start Apache. They both will try and use port 80 and will block the other if it is already started.
ifdef

Postby Sharley » 27. December 2008 22:43

Double click on .\xampp\apache_start.bat file and see what error message is returned why Apache can't start - Vista users may have to right click on the bat file and select to Run as administrator.

The most common offender that hogs port 80 is Skype.

So temporarily disable Skype and test again.

If Apache starts then have Skype use another port from the Tools>Options>Connections window.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows