Magento does not work anymore after upgrading to Xampp 1.7

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Magento does not work anymore after upgrading to Xampp 1.7

Postby tokyobaka » 23. December 2008 15:04

Hello
Thanks to Apachefriends for the release of Xampp 1.7 with all last components updated !
I used Magento with Xampp 1.6.8 and it worked perfectily on my computer but after upgrading Xampp it does not work anymore. I checked all files and edited some files in Apache and PHP as some changes are required according to the Magento Wiki but still Apache keeps crashing. Everytime I try to install Magento when I reach the page were you fill the informations about the name of the database and you validate (localhost, root, name of db) well Apache crashes. Always at the moment.
Logs in Apache says:
Code: Select all
[notice] Parent: child process exited with status 255 -- Restarting.

Any idea ? Thanks.

PS: Same results on XP and on Vista
tokyobaka

Re: Magento does not work anymore after upgrading to Xampp 1.7

Postby Wiedmann » 23. December 2008 19:48

Everytime I try to install Magento when I reach the page were you fill the informations about the name of the database and you validate (localhost, root, name of db) well Apache crashes.

Well, I have no idea about "Magento". Just a question:
Is this software using PDO for the database connection?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby tokyobaka » 24. December 2008 11:29

Hello
Magento is an Open Source ecommerce software:
Magento - Open Source eCommerce Evolved
Actually, yes PDO_MySQL is a required extension according to their system requirements Wiki. The strangest thing is that I also tried WampServer 2.0f with Magento and it also includes Apache 2.2.11, mysql 5.1.30 and PHP 5.2.8 and it worked ! So WampServer 2.0f with the same components worked with Magento but not Xampp. I like Xampp over WampServer and I like to use it but now I really do not understand the problem.
tokyobaka

Postby Wiedmann » 24. December 2008 14:34

Actually, yes PDO_MySQL

Can Magento also use the mysql or mysqli extension?

but now I really do not understand the problem.

It looks like a compiling problem with the pdo_mysql extension.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby smjones316 » 27. December 2008 23:16

I am having the same problem, never upgraded. Just downloaded new version. Followed osme basic steps and cannot get past the same page...Apache crashes everytime.

Did anyone ever find a workaround?
smjones316

Postby olagato » 28. December 2008 09:57

The same problem in Zend Framework projects with PDO_MYSQL connections. Not upgraded. Just downloaded new version.
I've tried to execute the procedure recommended by Wiedmann in this post http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32540, but the problem still persists:
Go to the directory "\xampp\mysql\bin" and execute the programm "mysql_update.exe".

Error details from Microsoft:
- szAppName : apache.exe
- szAppVer : 2.2.11.0
- szModName : php_pdo_mysql.dll
- szModVer : 5.2.8.8
- offset : 0000250a

Files reported:
C:\DOCUME~1\User\CONFIG~1\Temp\WER455f.dir01\apache.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\User\CONFIG~1\Temp\WER455f.dir01\appcompat.txt

Notes:
- Windows XP
- Xampp version 1.7.0
- xampp/php/php5.ini: "extension=php_pdo_mysql.dll" enabled. "extension=php_pdo.dll" enabled

Don't know how to solve it.
Thread: http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32567
Last edited by olagato on 29. December 2008 09:36, edited 4 times in total.
olagato

Re: After upgrading to Xampp 1.7 PDO MySQL does not work

Postby markuswilhelm » 29. December 2008 09:29

Hi,
I do have the same problem but on windows and I executed the upgrade mysql executable. So any ideas?

BR Markus
Grüßle Markus
Ich fürchte, die Tiere betrachten den Menschen als ein Wesen ihresgleichen, das in höchst gefährlicher Weise den gesunden Tierverstand verloren hat. Nietzsche
https://www.rettungspfoten.de
markuswilhelm

Postby a-patchy » 31. December 2008 23:10

Magento uses Zend Framework, which uses the PHP PDO library to access MySQL. So I'd guess that the fix that worked for me will work for you: http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32617
a-patchy

Postby mikesmullin » 14. February 2009 00:11

I hate to say it, but I tried everything and I still couldn't get Magento 1.2.1 to stop crashing with XAMPP Lite 1.7.0. It crashed with 1.6.8 too but only every few minutes. I replaced the PDO .dll files with the most recent versions from php.net and it helped but Apache crashes still occurred frequently enough that I became sufficiently frustrated to start searching for alternative solutions.

Once I installed Zend Core, everything worked perfectly. Magento is built on Zend Framework. Zend Framework is included with Zend Core. Zend Core is also the only Zend-certified PHP Stack and it's new as of 2008. There are some things I miss about it that I used to have in XAMPP, but since I plan on doing a lot more development for Magento the benefits of the trade-off were clear and far outweighed the consequences.

I hope Apache Friends can resolve the problem. Maybe someday I will come back to my old friend XAMPP Lite.
mikesmullin

Return to XAMPP for Windows