Missing DLLS

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Missing DLLS

Postby terryd » 20. December 2008 02:00

Hello Forum Members!

I have installed XAMPP on many computers with great success (Windows/MAC/Linux).
However I am having problems starting Apache on a particular computer and at this point cannot figure out why. Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Here are the three missing DLL Names XAMPP complains about when I try to start Apache through the XAMPP control panel:

OCI.dll
aspell-15.dll
libcs.dll

Astonishingly, I cannot find them in the XAMPP distribution and neither can I locate them in the Windows directory on any other computer running XAMPP.
The OS that I am running on is XP-HOME SP3

Thanks in anticipation.
terryd

Re: Missing DLLS

Postby Sharley » 20. December 2008 02:09

Here is a couple of things to try first.
Double click on xampp-portcheck.exe to make sure all ports are free - make sure you stop all XAMPP components, plus uninstall (same as stop) any XAMPP components running as a service before running this exe file.

Next try and start Apache using the apache_start.bat file as it will give a true error message why Apache can't start.

Both the above files are in the xampp installation folder.

I only have one of those dlls you mention on my PC, the aspell-15.dll because I have installed aspell on my PC.
The other 2 are not on my PC and I can start Apache no problems with both the XCP and the bat files.

Did you make and edits/changes in the apache\bin\php.ini file or the apache\conf\httpd.conf file?
Last edited by Sharley on 20. December 2008 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby terryd » 20. December 2008 02:36

Thanks Sharley!

I followed your instructions without success. Mind you, Apache does start after having to click ok on multiple error popups.
As Apache is lauched twice, i have two distinct sets of the same popups. After it finally starts running I can see the XAMPP for Windows page and from then on I can browse the phpMyAdmin pages.

However, all the samples like the CD Collection, Biorythm etc. are garbled.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Terryd
terryd

Postby Sharley » 20. December 2008 02:43

Do you have more than one instance of Apache and or XAMPP on your PC?

Did you get an error message when you ran the apache_start.bat file?

What are these popup error messages?
I can't see them from here. ;)

Check in the Windows Environment Variables from the Windows Control Panel>System>Advanced tab for any path anomalies.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby terryd » 20. December 2008 03:08

Hi Sharley:

No I have only one copy. When Xampp launches Apache it starts two instances it seems.
apache_start.bat has the same set of problems.
I have captured the error messages however I do not see a way to include them (graphics) here for you to view!
Here is a textual representation of the same.

The error message title bar reads:
=============================================================================================================
apache.exe - Unable to Locate Component

Red X This application failed to start because OCI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.
[OK]
=============================================================================================================
This message appears 3 times per instance
Substitute aspell-15.dll and libcs.dll once per instance instead of OCI.dll

I checked the environment for problems and it seems fine.

Thanks for your efforts!

Terryd
terryd

Postby terryd » 20. December 2008 03:53

Hi Sharley:

Thanks again for your invaluable advice. I have located the problem. It was a php version that was installed prior to xampp with dlls in the Windows dir.
After uninstalling it everything works just fine. You were right all along about there being a conflict with some pre-installed component!

Your tip allowed me to track it down. Tell your boss to give you a big raise!

XAMPP Rocks!

Cheers!

Terryd
terryd

Return to XAMPP for Windows